Re: What is the root of this BMW design flaw in all 3,5,7 series BMW trunk wiring looms?

Page 4 of 4
On 03/18/2013 11:36 AM, jim beam wrote:

N54, but same principle.

I've not found it to be that unreliable (touch wood.) There *are* a lot of electronics to fail, and that scares me a little, but that's true of every modern car with a few notable exceptions worth having and none of mine have failed yet (good lord I hope I don't regret posting that.) So far I've paid for fluid changes, aforementioned OFH gasket, and a bunch of random upgrades (euro light switch, spare tire kit, winter wheels and tires, alarm, sat tuner, etc.) Despite the reputation for being hard to work on I was able to install the alarm and sat tuner in an afternoon in the driveway following excellent directions easily available online, and without any unusual tools that a moderately DIY-oriented enthusiast is unlikely to have. Really, no harder than changing a car stereo in any garden-variety car. The biggest challenge to DIY work is actually lifting the car to get underneath due to the very limited ground clearance, but that goes with the territory of pretty much any decent handling car, and if it doesn't, an enthusiast is likely to change that :)

Neither the Miata nor the Elise has a back seat or a usable trunk.
I think having a 3er for a daily and a Miata or Elise for weekend fun would be a great combination. My mom actually has a Miata for a "fun car" and loves it (as do I) but I don't have the space/funds to justify another vehicle purchase.
And where is all this BMW advertising? I must not pay attention to the same media that you do, BMW seems to really not advertise at all compared to other manufactureres; people buy them because of reputation/previous experience/glowing reviews in magazines and on enthusiast-oriented TV programming.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 03/19/2013 05:00 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

what cognative dissonance trip are you on this morning? you catalog a bunch of completely unacceptable failures one day, then here you are the next saying it's not unreliable! are you not taking your meds?

dude, what is wrong with you this morning????

can we change who shows up with meaningless drivel on r.a.t?

ah, got it - you idea of a car that "handles" is an extended cab pickup. got it.

you sure won't have funds if you're driving a bmw.

nate, i'm sure that if you're nice to your mom, she'll let you out of the basement occasionally. you can have the tv on while she hoses you down and changes your depends.
--
fact check required

On 03/19/2013 10:17 AM, jim beam wrote:

What failures have I catalogued? I had a leaking oil filter housing gasket at the time the car was purchased, which was repaired and the car has been trouble free since. That is the ONLY issue that I've had in this car in about 6K miles/several months since purchase (car has 77K give or take.) There have been NO other repairs to this car under my care!
<rest snipped because clearly there's reading comprehension issues here.>
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

This "Jim Beam" is a real stupid troll.

You're a lying idiot. And this is from someone who has owned both a Prelude Sia and CRX Si.

Nope. He's right.

If true, there was "handicapping" going-on to "level the field".
There's not a purpose-built race car on the planet that is FWD. There are reasons for that.

Well it is nearly fifty years, but IIRC Mini's won the Monte Carlo Rally many times (and would have come 1, 2, 3 in 1966 if they hadn't fudged the rules to disqualify the Brits and let a French car win...)
On 03/27/2013 01:06 PM, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

people that talk smack about fwd vehicles don't know how to drive them.
regardez: <
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJlqqvVj-jA

and from 1991 onwards: <http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Ragnotti#Palmar.C3.A8s
--
fact check required

Stupid.
There's not a purpose-built race car on the planet that is FWD. There are reasons for that.