BMW 3 series (E90) - emergency boot release (2023 Update)

Hi,

I have a 2009, BMW 3 series (E90).

Because I bought it second hand I didn't get the manual.

The boot can be opened either from the keyfob, or by pressing the catch on the tailgate. Either way, it seem to use an actuator to open the mechanism.

Because my back seats don't fold down, how on earth will I be able to get into the boot if the actuator ever fails?

Also, looking online, there should be a tag thing hanging down from the boot lid to allow it to be opened from the inside. Mine doesn't seem to have this tag.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris.

Reply to
chris

A two second google found...

depending on if you have iDrive or not.

As with the vast majority of modern cars.

Angle grinder. Or, according to p32, you put the key in the keyhole in the bootlid and turn it. Modern technology, eh?

It's been a US requirement for a decade or so, to help kidnap victims escape, but since that's less of an issue over here, it's not required here. And since the little flourescent tag costs about ?0.02 per car, why fit what isn't required? B'sides, you don't actually WANT your kidnap victims to escape, do you?

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

I had previously googled for the manual. The one you found looks a bit different to one I was looking at.

I'll have a look at the boot tonight and see if I can find the keyhole.

Thanks - Chris.

Reply to
chris

Looks to be on the underside of the upper edge of the number plate recess, RH end.

Reply to
Adrian

Just like most saloons?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi.

I've had a look. No sign of a key hole I'm afraid.

I've uploaded a pic here -

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Reply to
chris

have you looked under the rear seat squab, some bmw have the release cable there if there is no keyhole.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

A crowbar will usually do the trick.

Reply to
The Revd

The pic in the handbook PDF showed it much further right, almost at the end.

Reply to
Adrian

replying to chris, richard hall wrote: Hi Chris I've found your bmw forum about the boot release.did you fathom out how to open the boot with no key/button.i have the problem right now,can't get in the boot and don't have split/fold down seats.any help appreciated thanks richard

Reply to
richard hall

I once saw a man who had locked themselves out of a Beemer. After several hours an AA van appeared and the mechanic took the rear number plate off, drilled a hole and did something to release the lock. He then put the number plate back on. I presume the hole was welded shut later.

Apparently the AA were talked through the process by BMW

Reply to
Aloysius
[...]

It would be more likely that the patrol was being talked through the procedure by their helpdesk.

The AA have a database of the way to gain entry into virtually every vehicle on the road. In many cases this is by powering up the central locking via an external battery pack, which may be what the hole was for.

For obvious reasons, the information is not held in the patrol's vehicle!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Once while abroad our keys got locked in the car and I broke in by getting under the car and shaorting contacts on the alarm box to open the central locking. I'm sure it is a lot harder with more modern cars though.

Reply to
Steve Walker

My nephew managed to leave his key in the load area of his BMW X5, the AA/RAC phoned home and found out how to wedge open the tailgate using little airbags and then fished out the keys.

Reply to
MrCheerful
[...]

Not too much.

One well-known model could be accessed by removing the two screws holding the high-level brake light in place, the using a battery pack to power up a certain wire that went to the tail gate lock.

Another involves removing the n/s front wheel and wheel arch liner to power up the central locking.

When my stepson was an AA patrol he would often get calls for 'key locked in car' at school run times. The typical scenario was a mum giving a child her keys to play with whilst strapping them in, then stopping to chat to someone. The child then manages to hit the lock button.

On one occasion, the mum was so distraught that she was hysterical. The entry procedure on that car was to jack it up to access part of the loom under the car. Mum wanted the quickest outcome, so signed a disclaimer permitting a window to be broken.

BTW, not entirely OT, as one of the above vehicles was a BMW. ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

replying to chris, Deacon22 wrote: Hi, I know this is very late but someone else may see it and need the help. I recently did the same - to gain access to the boot, remove the bottom of the rear seats. Remove 5 t50 torx bolts, 2 from seats and 3 from seatbelts. Wiggle the seat upwards and towards the front of the car. Have an assistant or axle stand hold the seat up and you climb in the boot. Connect new battery and open the boot. If it's the actuator failed, then remove boot lining with 4 x plastic rivet things and 2 screws behind warning triangle.

2 x 13 mm bolts and the lock is off the boot and it'll open.
Reply to
Deacon22

If you can get into the car, why not just open the bonnet and use the jump start connections on the engine?

Isn't there a pull chord to do this on that model?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

replying to Dave Plowman (News), jackdan wrote: Hi all, just need a quick bit of advice

Symptoms: Neither the remote fob or the boot handle will release the boot lock. Using the remote I can't hear the clicking of the lock mechanism moving so it's definitely dead. and on driving I get the annoying "Boot open" bong every few minutes. I've check fuse 61 (which I believe is the correct one) and it's still good. Also I believe this fuse covers the glove box light and that's working.

I know our american cousins get the valet switch in the glovebox where as mine doesn't, so it's not that.

Above the number plate there's no key hole to release the boot.

Nothing has changed in the car, the boot operated perfectly last night when I got home, worked perfectly this morning when I opened it to put my bags in. The first thing I noticed was as I drove off... "Bong!, Boot open" and I'm stuck with the above symptoms.

Any Ideas?

Reply to
jackdan

Hi, I have a BMW E90 325i which has developed a fault with the boot, I am u nable to release it both with the remote or the key, at the same time I hav e a failed reverse light and brake light both on the boot passenger side. T he dash warning system informs me of these faults although it states the bo ot is open.

Does anyone know of a way to open my boot, I suspect it will mean braking a light or drilling a hole to access the lock, any help would be very welcom e.

I have checked all fused related to the door locks!

Reply to
russellharden69

Page 23 to 24 of

suggests there is a switch in the glove box which may be inhibiting the boot from being opened.

Also it suggests that there is an emergency release in the boot. I assume that the back seats fold down in order to gain access from within the car.

Reply to
alan_m