shift 2 -> 3rd slow when cold. (92 e32)

Fresh back from dealing with a blown headgasket; now my tranny is acting up.
When the car is cold; (say 1st or 2nd shifts) going from 2nd to 3rd doesn't
happen "correctly" -- it'll rev up to 3grand w/o romping on it... just putting along.
once it warms up (typically w/in 2 minutes) it shifts perfectly normal & fine.
I had a fluid change about a month ago - and it's been fine since.
Any ideas? Could I have missed a vacuum line being hooked up right or something when I put the new head on?
Thanks -josh

This is a feature on my E39 - it's designed to get the cat. up to temperature as quickly as possible. Only noticeable in cold weather. It seems to revert to normal change speeds when the CC ramps up the fan speed.
--
*Life is hard; then you nap

Dave's right....
It's meant to do that.
My e36 325 also used to do this.

Thanks!
I guess I just didn't notice it when it was below freezing here -- maybe becuase I started teh car in teh garage & let it heat up a bit 1st...
I'm tired of doing battle with the car -- glad it's completely normal.
Cheers! -josh

It's worth carefully reading the driver's handbook from cover to cover as it lists all these strange things - somewhere.
--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

I guess it's worth RE-reading -- because I sure don't remember anything about the tranny not shifting in cold weather...

But you said it did do a 1-2 shift but then hung on to 2 until warm(ish). A design feature. And mentioned in my UK driver's handbook.
If you drive straight out onto the 'freeway' on a cold day mine will change up above 2nd even when cold - but won't allow 5th until reasonably warmed up.
--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Yes; -- I confirmed it today -- it shifts right at 3K -- we also determined WHY I hadn't noticed it before...
Previously; I go to teh garage, pull the car out; come back in and say "Aren't you ready honey?" go out, close the garage, come back in, get a coffee, bathroom break; then I hear "Let's go; we're going to be late" -- then we get in teh car & go -- apparently; this is enough time to warm up...
for the past week; I've been driving solo in the morning; so "get in and go"
Mystery solved!
says...

Same as on my car - have about 200 yards to end of the road - and it hangs onto the 1st (or 2nd - whatever it starts in by default) for about the 1st 100 yards and revs higher than usual. Then when I turn out into the main road, it behaves pretty much as normal.
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]
Jeremy wrote:

It should shift-up at about 3k rpm.
--
-Fred W

Josh Assing wrote:

Josh,
It's not that it doesn't shift, it's that it shifts at a higher rpm shift-point, as if it were in sport mode (but only when cold). ...and yes my '94 E34 does the same thing.
--
-Fred W

Right -- thanks. I mean "not shifting normally" -- but gotcha.
I've actually started to ignore this so it's not bugging me anymore....
Thanks again
-josh