SMG or not.

Page 3 of 3
London SW

Yup. By any definition it's an auto with a manual over-ride - but only to some extent. So in fact very little different from a Steptronic.

Well, those were closer to a manual than an SMG.

So not only is it an auto, but a poor one? Sort of my point...

So now a manual BMW can change gear by itself? That's a novelty.
--
*That's it! Im calling grandma!

London SW

Dave
Seriously, do you really think BMW don't know their own cars? They design them, they build them, they sell them and they service them. I think their definition is correct.
http://files.bm3w.co.uk/docs/m3/SMG%20II%20Manual.pdf
See page 3
Just curious. With what gearbox did you pass your driving test? If automatic, are you just allowed to drive manual in your country (USA??).
In the UK you cannot. Pass with auto you are licensed to drive auto only.
DAS
"S.A." < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Nah, it doesn't work that way here. Driving tests are a joke. You could take your test in an automatic and be out on the road (badly) driving a stick shift that afternoon.
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:

Just look at what you've started!!!
Please let us know what you go for in the end and whether you think an SMG is an automatic or not!
I'm off to try an automatic Toyota for a week :-)
Hertz don;t do cars with SMG boxes.. "Sorry sir, we have autos and manuals. Whats an SMG?"