Tire Suggestions?

Page 2 of 2
wrote

You're being simplistic to blame his observation of tires squealing a lot once they start to wear on the design of the car. I've observed this in lots of different types of cars, and the progressive worsening of the tire squeal as the tires age should not be broad-brushed away because it's a FWD car.
-Russ.
Pete wrote:

I sort of agree, tirerack.com *is* a great resource. You can check out models and prices and get a lot of anecdotal experience info, but do *not* take the reviews and ratings as gospel, especially the positive ones. A large percentage of the reviews are done after very little mileage on the purchaser's new tires. Of course he thinks he made the smartest decision and just loves them. 10-20k miles later the story may be different. But you can pay attention to the negative responses as it may indicate issues with that particular tire model.
I have bought three different sets of tires from them based on positive (or rather a lack of negative) reviews that I later regretted. One set was some Kumhos that got incredibly noisey after only 12k miles. Another model of Kumhos that were Z rated but turned out to be very slick with poor traction. The third (and possibly worst) were some continental extreme contacts that were highly regarded at the time, but which turned out to have a horrible tendency to flat spot when left for even a short time. This led to them being misbalanced (while they were still cold). The only way that I was finally able to get them balanced was to go out and drive around on them for a half an hour and drive right into the tire shop and have them lift it right away. What a PITA...
anyway... caveat emptor.
--
-Fred W

Scott Dorsey wrote:

The newer Assurance tires. They're wonderful.
I have been happy with the performance of Bridgestone's Potenza RE950. They did get noisy after about 20,000 miles, but the handling and performance is great, except supposedly for snow. Not a problem here in Southern California... If you are in the US, I would recommend the Tire Rack. In fact, you can get a good idea of tires and their performance from their web site regardless of where you live: http://www.tirerack.com /