2004 CTS Navigation

I just pruchased a 2004 CTS with DVD Nav. Can the system be operated without the DVD remaining in the drive? If not, can you copy the DVD for a spare at
home in case it's damaged? How do you buy a replacement, and what does it cost?
What do you think about the car ingeneral, any iusses? I love it, the 3.6L sport package rides like a dream.

No.
Not unless you have a DVD burner that is able to make a Dual layered disc.

Most likely in the low $300 range and only chevy sells it.