1968 Camaro radiator question...

My '68 Camaro has still been running hot, has a 383 stroker engine (the one with a hairline crack that I wrote about on an earlier post). We've been trying
to figure out why it has been running so hot, and if that may have caused the crack. I switched to a 160 degree thermostat (from 180), still runs hot. After driving a few miles, the upper radiator hose is hot, but the lower hose is only a little warm-- could this mean the problem might be in the radiator itself?
Terry M.
Sounds like the water pump!
Heat rises, so it will exit the thermostat housing, and the water pump pulls from the lower radiator hose.
The impeller might be loose or might have fallen off the shaft on the water pump. You can remove the back cover on the water pump, and the back gasket comes with some timing cover kits. (The off brands)
But, it could be a blockage in the radiator, from using too much stop leak. It is a crossflow radiator.
Refinish King

one
itself?
I was thinking both those things...supposedly this radiatior is new, but you never know.
Thanks for the info--

trying
crack.
My pleasure!
Refinish King

(the
lower
Did the car start overheating after the new radiator was installed? If it was recently filled, you may have air in the system. This could also keep the coolant form circulating. If your thermostat does not have one, drill a small hole in it to allow the air to get out.
The old engine didn't overheat with this radiator, just the new one. I just replaced the thermostat, maybe I'll take your advice and drill a hole in it, then try again-- Thanks, Terry M.