67 Camaro Quarter panel removal question ??

Hello all, I have a 67 RS Camaro that I have done a lot of work on so far and now need to do quarters. I have someone who will fit and spot weld them on, but I have to do the drilling out of all the spot welds and remove the panel. I will be putting in full quarters that include the door jam where the striker plate is. I have found a great article in one of the muscle car mags explaining some of the removal but I want to find out all I can before I dig in. If anyone knows of a publication I can buy that will explain and show the details please let me know. I already know about removing the lead seam where it meets the roof and drilling out the welds there and in the doorjamb down to the rocker, and the filler panel behind the rear windshield is out already. What I am not sure is about the trunk edge, the rear window edge coming down to the trunk and where the quarter panel meets the rocker down low in front of the rear wheel. I stripped mine in that area and found silicone where the bottom of the quarter mmeets the rocker and I don't know if that's supposed to be there or just a previous quick fix. I know that the spot welds, where the quarter meets the tail panel, are from behind and cutting the panned out there and going back in and drilling out the remaining piece of the quarter from the inside is what I have to do. Is that the case all the way down to the bottom of the tail panel? You can see why I would like to buy a book with detailed pics and instructions if it's available. I am not afraid to do the work. I drilled out 60 or so spot welds from my upper dash panel already so I feel somewhat confident. I dont have the panel in front of me to look at and see where it needs weding, but I am in the works of negotiating NOS panels and should hopefuly have them soon. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post. Gary

Reply to
TraxUnderground

I replaced both quarters on my 69 firebird...same program. The best thing to do is take and abrasive saw or grinder and cut out the old quarter all the way around the perimeter, then you'll be able to see all the attachment points from the inside looking out.Where the quarter mees the roof panel you'll find lead, and just take a torch and slowly heat and remove the lead, which will expose the joint and the spot welds, be careful at this point , not to heat too much at a time to avoid any warping, I just heated and scraped some off, then let it cool for awhile, send me your email and I'll try to send you some pictures.My Firebird was featured in an article in Musclecarenthusiast magazine, it came out very well. At the bottom of quarter, in front of the wheel, it is spot welded, then GM used seam sealer over the joint. If you take your time and whack the old quarter off as I said earlier, you'll be able to see alot more. I'll check on those photos for you after I get your email response, Brad

Reply to
stockdragrace

[...]

Brad, Thanks !!! I juse emailed you my info...

Thanks Gary

Reply to
TraxUnderground