1990 Chevy Camaro Starter Problem?

My boyfriend has a 1990 Chevy Camaro, that has a suped up 5.0 V8 engine, and it is a manual. He has had it in the shop every week, and now they say that the starter is only getting 6 volts to it, when it messes up. The car
has been in the shop for a week and started up fine the first few days and did not die, then one day decided not to run right and this is when they think they found the problem. But they do not know how to fix it considering they only know what is going wrong when the car is having a "bad day." Do you have any idea how to fix this?
My 90 Chevy Camaro RS surges all the way through 3rd gear. I just had new pluges and wires installed, and retimed my distributor. It also idles extremely low after the car gets hot, and sometimes dies while in nuetral. Any ideas what this problem can be?
90kchevycamaro wrote:

mechanic is knowing how to troubleshoot problems. Unfortunately there is no "simple" answer. There is a process to tracing back low voltage on a circuit that should be part of the basic process for the mechanic. All good mechanics know how to do this type of troubleshooting.
Once again, find a shop that actually knows how to troubleshoot problems.
--
Cy Welch
89 Camaro RS 5.0 TBI