'94 Camaro cooling problem

First, water pump is OK, and I can find no leaks....
When I head out for work in the morning, the temp gauge climbs into the upper temp range. Most of the time, after about 15-20 minutes of driving,
it will drop back to the "normal" position and may or may not go back up. Same thing on the way home later in the day, but temp stays high (about 3/4 of the way up on the gauge).
Coolant level is OK, and the fan is working. Could this be an intermittent thermostat problem? I thought thermostats either work or don't work. Any advice appreciated...thanks!

with a 160 degree instead of the 185 degree and had the Radiator flushed. Since then no problems.
Jamie
Jamie Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

I think your and the OP's problems are similar. Partially gunked up radiator... <G>
NOI
Jamie wrote:

Now that you've fixed the radiator, you might want to put the warmer thermostat back in....keeps engine wear down to a reasonable level. Not to mention the heater works better.
--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
I was waiting until colder weather, after the flush I used the 185 for about a week and it kept running at around 220-240 with the 160 thermostat it ran around 190
Jamie

Jamie wrote:

sounds like there's something wrong with the cooling system...if it's working properly, the engine should be running just a shade over the thermostat opening temp. Are these new thermostats? they do get weak after many years of service.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
yeah both new. the fan is wired to start as soon as the engine starts. and this morning interestingly enough, the gauge shot up to 250 in about 5 miles. so I pulled over and shut it off for awhile bout ten minutes later I turned it back on ( i was in a hurry) it was still going up so I revved the engine to about 4000 RPMs and the temp gauge started slowing and you could hear the coolant flowing through when i turned the engine back off. so who knows whats going on *LOL*
Jamie