Weepy Water Pump

I have a 99 Sonoma, 2.2 L. with 80K miles. For the past 40K miles I've been observing the water pump (every time I changed the oil) and always find a slight ooze coming out the weep hole. It can be described as an always moist spot, but not dripping. It never gets worse, but never goes away, either. I know on other vehicles I've owned, dealerships have even told me that *some* weep is "normal." I don't know if this is the case on this Sonoma. Since I am about to change all hoses, flush and fill, should I go ahead and put on a water pump now? Kind of bad timing, as far as the expense goes, so I don't want to do it unless I really need it. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks..

Reply to
Steve Thomas

Probably not the best advise, BUT. That straight 4 can "take the heat". You can probably wait to change it, because even if it fails your engine shouldn't grenade as long as you don't just keep driving it....

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

If you've got Dexcool in the truck and gone over 80,000 miles with out changing it then you may have bigger problems than the pump. Also the weeping you say started 40,000 miles ago, that's close to the 50,000 miles that GM says the Dexcool must be changed.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Actually this fill of Dexcool has exactly 50K miles on it. The o.e. Dex was changed already at 30K when the radiator sprung a leak (under warranty.) The weeping started about 10K miles later. The only reason I ask is because in the past, on other vehicles, once a water pump started weeping it pretty quickly went from bad to worse and became obvious that the pump needed replacement. This one seems to just ooze a small constant amount out over time but doesn't increase

-- never gets better, never gets worse.

Reply to
Steve Thomas

Hey gremlin and diablo, dexcool is supposed to go up to 150,000 miles, my S-10 and Silverado say that in the owners manual, however they have been flushed each at 80,000 miles, and my silverado at 185,000 and the next will be at 285,000 miles. S-10 is nearing close to the mark of 180,000 miles. Dexcool lasts longer. As for your Sonoma, I would never own a general motors

4 cylinder, JUNK.

Reply to
<kielu84

Kielu, Go away. You are spouting trash. The GM inline four & six are known as the "Iron Horse" or "Iron Duke". I have a 2.XL in a 1988 S10. It's the ONLY good part about the frikken truck!

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Bullcrap that 2.2 Liter I4 is a heap. The company I work for used S-10s for years with 2.2 Liter I4's, and they were fine till they started getting older. Out of 20 trucks, only about 8 of them ever made it over 175,000 miles. I also have friends that have them in their S-10's and Xtreme S-10's. Around 115,000+ miles the head gasket takes a shit and the head typically goes along for the ride too. I'm not talking about the older 4 cylinders, but I would never own a 2.2 liter of Chevy's, they are junk, cant compare an older truck with today's newer truck in my opinion. The 2.2 is only good in the sunfire or the cavalier. Not a pickup. My sister used to have an 85 Celebrity with "4tech" engine ran forever till the timing belt needed replacing, we fixed it drove it for another 4 years till we sold it. But the 2.2 used in the S-10s and Sonoma's 1994-2003 models are junk! . The

2.5 Liter 16 valve quad 4 is what they should be using. and as the I6's, I have no complaints against them. Just the 2.2 Liter 4 cylinder.

Reply to
<kielu84

Steve, no amount of coolant leak is "normal". Change the pump before it strands you somewhere.

Reply to
Scott M

The pump shouldn't cost much. You are doing the rest of the cooling system anyway. I couldn't sleep tight without changing that leaky pump because they can go quickly. When your system has pressure the seal apparently is sealing and when the pressure is off it relaxes and leaks a little. Why test the limits with 80K on it already?

Reply to
Al Bundy

Well I have a 1988 S10 with a 2.2L that I used to run at 75MPH in second/third gear on the highway. I ran it without a serp belt once. I pulled a toy rav4 for about 30 seconds, one wheel burnin rubber, about 40 MPH+ while moving about 10feet (I won). It's got the 5 speed manual too.

Btw, 210,000 miles. It's had the water pump replaced.

I've noticed the total lack of reply to you, and how much people are backing up your views. Have a nice day ass hole.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Sorry for such a delayed response, I work. My life isnt this computer. I'm not saying that 2.2's dont go over 200,00 miles, I know quite a few that have, I also know quite a few that had a lot of repair to make it there. Guess its all depends on the vehicle I suppose. I know I'll never own one. The first time a vehicle gives me a problem over and over again, my mind is pretty much made up on it. If your S-10 has 210,000 miles on it then I am happy for you, I had a 98 S-10 once with a 2.2 on it, the engine gave me nothing but problems, and the it made it to 220,000 miles after numerous repairs. This is only my opinion, I'll stick with GM's I6, V6's and V8's I like something more than 120 hp.

Reply to
kielu84

Ahhhh...is that right? Your sister had an 85 Celebrity with a 4 cylinder GM engine that had a timing belt, eh? Good one!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai