"Engine Restore" in a lurching Camaro?

Sad, but it seems the Camaro (1985 V6 2.8L) is dieing. The car "lurches" when accelerating. I took it into a shop, and they ran a compression test saying basically:

----"It's definitely not a firing problem, its compression...What is happening when it lurches, is that its the computer trying to compensate for bad compression by making the fuel mixture rich and then less rich over and over."----

I took a glance at the rotar/distributer cap and the rotar had minor carbon traces and the cap had corrosion on each of the metal plates. But according to them it is "definitely not a firing problem as the compression test proved." They showed me the sparks plugs, which looked really bad, and told me that new ones should help. Well the car ran almost perfect on the new plugs for about 3-4 days. It's now lurching again upon acceleration just like it used to. They did say something about two of the cylinders weren't firing right (I don't remember if they said it was due to the compression or not). Regardless, $220 dollars later I get my car back with new spark plugs and a "sorry about ya."

Well anyways, I saw this product called "Engine Restore" which supposively restores compression to "original compression numbers." Has any of you had any experience with this product? Does the above diagnosis make sense? For $200 bucks I could of got a full tune-up...they told me they didn't even look under the distributer cap even though I requested it.

Thanks in advance, -dan

"Why do I work on my own car? Because there are two kinds of mechanics in the world; those mechanics who fell in love with cars at five years old, and those that don't have the education do to anything else. I mean who really likes to stand out in blistering heat/cold for hours on end with sweat/ice falling from their face? Most mechanics don't do it because its the best job in the world. That's why I work on my own car." -Anonymous

Reply to
Dan

I have used it in several of my cars and it does seem to help. My 78 Camaro has around 185,000 miles on it and it does not burn oil or run rough. I have used it a couple times since I got this car.

Sounds like you should replace the cap and rotor if you have not done so already.

Reply to
Duane Morse

The 2.8 is very easy to work on, and if you really want to 'pep' things up, Summit Racing offers an Intake manifold from Edelborck (part# EDL-3785), and a matching cam (part# EDL-3790) for the Chevy 2.8 V6.....

As for you're poor compression, save yourself the aggravation.... and the money! Put on some fresh head gaskets (yourself), and breath new life into that 2.8.

Reply to
Legion

I will look into tightening some of the hoses and checking for vaccum leaks, but I did forget to mention that the car is fuel injected.

Reply to
Dan