rally wheels on a 68

I want to put rally wheels on my 68 and was wondering if 15x8's will fit and if so what size tires will work. I am more interested in clearance in the
front end. The wheels also have a 4 inch backset. Thanks Bruce
I've had some problem with this myself-- I own a 68 Camaro, and recently I purchased some nice 15 X 7 rally rims with 235-15 tires on them. The back are ok but like you mentioned the front are a problem, the tire rubs on the inner fender well near the front part of the subframe when I turn the steering wheel to the extreme left or right. I've been told that it has to do with the offset of the rims. I've been thinking of just buying a set of smaller tires like 215s but I'm not sure that would solve the problem. By the way, I have drum brakes front and rear.
Terry

and
Here's another data point for you. Hopefully someone with more experience can let us all know a good setup.
I have 205 70R14 tires on 14x7 wheels on my 67 Camaro. This combination of tires and wheels rub at the extreme right or left positions also.
I don't know the setback but I believe these to be the original wheels. It seems that the tires are just too wide, 8 1/2" inflated, measured across the tread at the frame level..

the
Hmm, it seems strange that 205s have that problem on your '67--isn't that the common original equipment tire size on 67-68 Camaros? A friend of mine told me it might be the rims themselves, a wider rim will 'spread out' the tire a little. I"m no expert on this either-- Terry

fit
The tires I have on there now are 205/60 15's on 15x7 welds.They were rubbing on the rear lower inner fender bolt when I turned but I think the new front springs have cured that problem.I was hoping to put these tires on the rally's without a problem.Thanks for the input Bruce

in
I forgot to mention it has front discs.

15 x 7 with 3-7/16 back space is about all you can fit up front. 15x8's with the B.S. above will keep you from making tight turns. The tire and wheel combo on the front of mine at the present is 15x7's with Bridgestone 225/60 R15 tires. They will rub the upper inner wheel well on hard bumps and you need to remove a few of the wheel well body bolts to keep them from digging into the rubber. Your best bet is to just go out and take all the measurements yourself so you can get as much tire with as little hassle as possible.
...Ron -- 68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird
http://www.frontiernet.net/~rscamero
Some are wise and some are otherwise

Yes "15 inch rallys will work , thats what I have on mine(67) ! I don't have a rubbing problem either. I took them off of a big block monte carlo. I think there 70/15's , but narrow on the front and about and inch wider on the back. MTC
The new Micheal Moore film: "The TIT Offensive" Staring Janet Jackson - Art torres - And the tiny tim dancers !
The wheels also have a 4 inch backset. Thanks Bruce

They are called "Reverse rims" Trade them for stock rallys if you can find them !!
Go to a camero site , you can buy them new,or go to a "Swap meet" ?
The new Micheal Moore film: "The TIT Offensive" Staring Janet Jackson - Art torres - And the tiny tim dancers !

Here is all the information you need !
And my tires are E/70/15 on the front ,with G/70/15's on the back ! The reason I have them wider is because the rearends were lite and would swap ends with you if you had horsepower. this helped the rear as there was more tire on the road and better traction, without the rubbing ! alway use same width tire tread as rim width. (Example) 10" rims ?, use ten " tire tread maximum.
http://www.classicindustries.com
The new Micheal Moore film: "The TIT Offensive" Staring Janet Jackson - Art torres - And the tiny tim dancers !
Maybe that'st what I should do, like I said, right now I have 235 X 15's on both the front and rear. Rear clearance is fine, but front tires rub. Perhaps if I go down to 215's on the front, it would solve the problem--
Thanks, Terry M.

and
--------------9DBE7716EAC9C7DC7A641E22 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Bruce Korsvoll wrote:

I have had a 1968 since birth [Oct 1967]. I have some 'Progressive' [I think they are out of business now] wheels on there now. They are FOURTEEN inches and they scape in the front all the time. I would doubt that you could get by with 15 inch wheels.
Smiley Ashton
--------------9DBE7716EAC9C7DC7A641E22 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------9DBE7716EAC9C7DC7A641E22--

I have 15X8 rally wheels all around on my '68 with no scraping at all. You must have too much backspacing on your wheels. I believe mine use 4" backspace.
Photo's here -
http://www.jimhim.net/camaro.htm
--
Jim H

Hey Jim what size tires do you have on the front they look fairly tall.I have 205/60s on 15x7 welds on there now and there ain't much room.My car is a big block so there is a bit more weight in front. Thanks Bruce

235/60-15 all around.

--
Jim H

Btw nice ride!