1984 Chevy Truck Battery dies every day is not started

I have a 1984 Chevy Silverado truck. It will not start if it sits for

1 day without starting. I have replaced the battery, starter, solenoid, spark plugs, distributor, had the alternator checked. I unplugged the clock & radio.

Something is draining the battery down. I have checked all the wiring to verify nothing is touching. I can't find the problem.

The alternator is charging because the meter shows it reading about

12-14 amps. There is no lights in glove compartment, backup lights, dome lights being left on. Any suggestions on how I can find out what is draining my battery down. It takes exactly one day for it to drain down completely.

This truck runs great but I can't contine to keep it if I do not find this problem. Someone has suggested I put a disconnect switch on the battery and turn it off at night. That is a band-aid solution, I want to find & fix the problem.

Reply to
Tommie Heard

One way to find the problem is to use a multimeter. Measure the current by measureing the current out of the battery. Then pull the fuses one at a time. Disconnect wires to the alternator and starter. That is a lot easier and cheaper than replacing stuff.

I remember one a car that had a little reading lamp behind the rear view mirror. Only found it because he happened to look at it at night.

Reply to
Dick

Dick wrote

I had a similar problem on a Ford van. There was a 2.8 amp draw off the battery that I could not find even after pulling all fuses one at a time. I finally traced it to the voltage regulator. Never occurred to me that the VR would use current with the ignition off, but there it was. That was three years ago, and it happened again last week. Jack

Reply to
fly in the ointment