Service Engine Soon - 96 Chevy Truck

1996 Chevy Silverado, 5.7L, Service Engine Soon light came on/off for a day or two...now is staying on. I had a local auto parts store perform OBD check and po155 [O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)] and po175 [System too Rich (Bank 2)] codes were listed. The plugs, wires, rotor button, rotor cap, air and fuel filters and pcv valve have all been changed within the last 3-4 months.

Is this a problem with the O2 sensor(s) or something with the throttle body? Any help with diagnosis and/or solution would most appreciated.

Reply to
cookiemonster

prolly your O2 sensor(s). I have a 96 also and I just replaced them this winter. The "book" says to replace them every 30K, yeah right. DO NOT get the "universal" style. Spend a few extra bucks and get the ones that plug right in. IIRC they were $60-65 each online. Make sure you know which plug style you are replacing. There is an in line and a four square type. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Shep

I had a similar problem on a 96 Tahoe. 5.7L Engine was running rough and the MIL lamp came on. Turned out to be a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Good Luck, TJ

TJ the Avionics Guy

"cookiemonster" wrote: > 1996 Chevy Silverado, 5.7L, Service Engine Soon light came > on/off for a day or two...now is staying on. I had a local > auto parts store perform OBD check and po155 [O2 Sensor > Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)] and po175 > [System too Rich (Bank 2)] codes were listed. The plugs, > wires, rotor button, rotor cap, air and fuel filters and pcv > valve have all been changed within the last 3-4 months. > > Is this a problem with the O2 sensor(s) or something with the > throttle body? Any help with diagnosis and/or solution would > most appreciated.

I replaced the forward O2 sensors on both sides. That fixed the ?service engine light?. Thanks to Mike, Shep2 and TJ for your input. However, the truck still idles a bit rough. Any ideas? Thanks again for your help! CM

Reply to
cookiemonster

yes

what part of 'HEATER CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION' is so difficult to understand ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

"cookiemonster" wrote: > 1996 Chevy Silverado, 5.7L, Service Engine Soon light came > on/off for a day or two...now is staying on. I had a local > auto parts store perform OBD check and po155 [O2 Sensor > Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)] and po175 > [System too Rich (Bank 2)] codes were listed. The plugs, > wires, rotor button, rotor cap, air and fuel filters and pcv > valve have all been changed within the last 3-4 months. > > Is this a problem with the O2 sensor(s) or something with the > throttle body? Any help with diagnosis and/or solution would > most appreciated.

I thought I had it fixed.

I replaced the front (before catalytic converter) two O2 sensors since they are the only ones that influence fuel settings/flow. The engine light went off and stayed off for a couple of days. However, it was still idling a bit rough.

Engine light has come back on with code "P0175 System too Rich (Bank

2)". Any ideas what this could be? If it was the fuel pressure regulator problem, wouldn?t both banks (right and left) run too rich? Any suggestions or direction appreciated.

CM

Reply to
cookiemonster

is it necessary that the rear o2 sensor be screwed in . I am missing the caty and muffler. will this cause the engine light to come on. All sensor have been replaced!

Reply to
greasytool