3 inch dual straight pipes 95 Z-71

Hello, Just me again Mr. Questions :) On my 95 Z71 my exaust is just about shot. But it's not shot to where it sounds like it's a raggedy gonna fall of kinda sound. I like how it sounds right now it's got a clean rumble too it. and I am thinking about having a couple straight pipes ran back to replace the OEM. I don't want an ugodly sound like i hear some trucks running around town and I don't want it to sound like I filled the fuel tank with beans like these kids are running around with on there ricers. I want a clean crisp tough sound. I checked into it this morning and a Guy recommended going with 3 inch pipes. My buddy had a Flowmaster something or another put on his

2003 2500HD and it just sounds Tough hands down. anyone know of anything I should look into on this, because I gotta do it on or my truck is going to start sounding raggedy. and is there any positives or negatives of changing the exaust flow? Thanks, Bob
Reply to
~Perkins Racing~

sidewinder

if you go with 3" duals, you will have zero torque. dual 2" or 2 1/4" pipes are plenty for a stock to mild small block. I have a single 3" pipe on my '88 350 TBI and it performs well. don't remove your cats.... you really won't gain anything and put yourself on the wrong side of federal emmissions laws. you can't really compare a 2003 to a '95 as they have completely different engine designs in them.

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase
3" is WAYYY to big for that. 2 1/4" duals are the perfect size for a stock/mild smallblock. 2 1/2" duals for stock big blocks and diesels.

I can't even think of a street situation where you'd want anything near that big. Sounds like you need to find a new exhaust guy.

As far as duals go, if you live in an area without emissions testing, and can get your exhaust shop to do it without cats, I'd have him run some 2 1/4" duals with your turbo muffler/glasspack of choice in the middle. If you have to have your vehicle inspected, then you can buy a couple catalytic converters aftermarket.

is a good place. I did this on my old '83 Chevy. I was lucky I didn't have to drive all the way to one of the small town shops around here to find someone to do it without cats. I just had them run 2 1/4" duals from the manifolds, through two 28" glasspacks, and out the back underneath the bumper with some 3 1/2" stainless tips. Man that thing sounded good.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

okay. I did call a different gut and he gave me several options and one was in fact 2 1/4. and run a Y to set two pipes around each side of the reciever/hitch. he also was telling me about running one don't remember if he even said a size but he has many different thngs I can put on for sound. he said on his personal 92 chevy he has the one pipe with some kind of muffler or whatever that makes his 350 have a deep deep rumble that sounds awesome. so i am going to pay him a visit hopefully today and see what options he has to offer then i will glady share them... Thanks, Bob

Reply to
~Perkins Racing~

I had my local Cole Muffler shop install a Xelerator Dual 3" exhaust and I'm pretty impressed with it. I had ZERO power loss, it's not loud, just throaty. They located the pipes on either side of my towing hitch. $250.00 installed. Came with a limited year warranty also.

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

That's Cool ! I was wondering why the first guy I called said 3 inch. I figured he has been in business long enough tknow how to get what I'm looking for. But I had seen someone had posted about lost torque or something. have you had any problems with that. Because I can't afford to lose torque pulling that trailer. just for craps and giggles here is a picture of my Z-71 and my Trailer

~Perkins Racing~

Forget the exhaust, spend the money on a better digital camera! LOL Sorry couldnt resist.....:) Oh, and you could just put a flowmaster muffler on it and it will probably sound the way you want (low and mean). A little loud for my taste though.......

Reply to
Scott M

I fully understand having louder pipes on a V8, but my thoery is that this only sounds good to a person standing outside the truck hearing it accelerate or purr by. Inside the cab it doesn't sound nearly as nice. On long hauls it can be very tiresom. My opinion is to do what ever will increase power (with that trailer), even if it means a nicely tuned single exaust (stainless?) I've always tried to get it quiet so I could hear the quiet parts on the CD player. Actually the best sounds on a V8 come from the intake :) But I do like to hear a nice throaty dual going down the street, or accelerating onto the hiway. B

Reply to
Battleax

That's why I choose the Xelerator. I was going to install a flowmaster dual out, but I didn't want the groan on the highway and long hauls. I like the Xcelerator because it sounds pretty mean on acceleration, but tones down once you get up to speed.