Electrical problems on 1992 Z-71:

Hi a buddy gave me his 1992 Chevy Z-71 to look at in order to sort out some issues after a recent purchase. The failed items are no tunes, A/C or cruise control in no order of priority. Being a pack rat, I swapped out the multi-funtion switch with one I had on the shelf thinking this would fix the cruise however it did not. Module on the firewall?

I swapped the radio head out only to get the same result, cannot tune stations and no volume, so I'm thinking that this is the amp.

A/C was completely empty so an R-134A conversion was in order. I swapped in a new drier, flushed the lines, changed the orifice tubes, changed the "O" rings to greenies, reassembled and the system held

30" vacuum for over an hour while I worked on something else. I injected oil from the Robinair and charged 2.0 lbs R134 and started the engine. No compressor operation. No power to the clutch, no power to the A/C cycling switch on the drier, lime green wire that feeds into the firewall connector on the passenger side. The flourescent control head flashes "A/C". Any idea where to head with this one? BTW the lime green wire shows "open" on my Thexton tool, and I can engage the clutch when putting 12V to the green wire on the cycling switch connector. Any insight is appreciated here as this is a fairly unusual trio for me.

Have a great one!

Bush

Reply to
Bush

Hey Bush I have 91 Z71 with almost the same problems. Heater control flashes "AC" for about 30 seconds after you start it and I have no ac working, clutch wont engage even when applying 12 volts directly to cluth, no power at cycling valve and no power to clutch, System is fully charged. Read somthing about air inlet motor being screwed or maybe AC relay behind dash pannel. Cruise wont work either dont know where to start with that one but at least my radio works.. Any help on these would be appreciated.

Reply to
dave

Hmmm, if the clutch doesn;t engage when DIRECTLY JUMPED, I'd say that's a pretty sure bet that the clutch itself is the culprit eh (mucho sarcasm intended). Quit making it more complicated than it is. The clutch is bad. Replace it.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Inline......................

Maybe. If you can, jack up the rear of the vehicle (SECURELY) so the rear wheels are completely off the ground. Remove the plastic cover on the cruise control module. Start her up, put her in gear and get the rear wheels up to 35mph, then have someone activate the cruise while you are watching the guts of the mechanism.

The internal gears are plastic and do wear out; I've replaced many cruise modules due to worn gears. Watch the cruise actuator arm when the cruise is turned on, if it moves but doesn;t catch the throttle cable, it's the unit.

Can't remember if the amp is part of the tuner module or the tape deck.........sorry.

A/C clutch cut-out relay, located behind and to the left of the gove box on the inner side of the firewall.

Hey, and I didn;t even crosspost...............................

Your pal,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I'll check out the module, Thank you. The A/C relay is in the engine compartment?

Thanks again,

Bush

Reply to
Bush

No the A/C relay is usually located behind the glovebox insert, inside the cab. It sits against the firewall, but on the cab-side of the firewall. Pop out the glove box insert and it'll be located in a cluster of 2-3 relays to the left side of your range of view thru the glovebox opening. God help me of I can remember which one the A/C relay is......................he he he he.

Take er' easy,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

They wanted $400 at the dealership for the module for my truck (88' C1500, cruise was dead when I bought it); I found one at a boneyard and paid $5 for it! I pulled it from the truck, took it to the checkout counter and the guys asks "what is it?" Crusie control module I say. Uhhhhhhh >

Reply to
"Doc"