Brake pipes corroded - split / dual braking?

I took my car for an MOT today, and it failed on one excessively corroded rear brake pipe. I checked when I got home, and the steel pipes did look a little rusty for around 2 inches. I wasnt too worried, as I have brakes pipes here to put on it. Went to the pub last night, I drive off, and the brake light is on - I thought the handbrake was still on. But no, the fluid had leaked out, and I had no brakes. Luckily this was in the car park, and I had the handbrake to stop me.

I was under the impression that all cars had dual circuits so if one side failed, there would still be some braking, but, I suppose if there has been a fluid leak, this doesnt apply?

It also shows that the maintenance regime I have is clearly not good enough to detect such things - the last MOT was 9 months ago, and I had no idea this section of pipe had corroded so badly. I would presume the MOT tested wiggling/probing the pipe took it over the edge, and made a pinhole, but it ust have been very close to leaking anyway without his intervention.

Reply to
A.Lee

Me too, for cars post 70s.

No - only the (diagonal) circuit that suffered the leak, at least AIUI. Something pretty catastrophic has happened elsewhere?

Reply to
RJH

If the master cylinder is in good condition then you should still have some braking, but the pedal will go a much longer way down. If the M/c has wirn out internal seals then it is quite feasible to have no braking upon fluid loss.

Brake pipes are notoriously hard to assess accurately as to whether the corrosion is excessive. In your case they were right!

Why did you have it mot-ed three months early?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Well, actually, it didnt quite hit the floor, and there was a little resistance, but I presumed I was just pumping out fluid from the hole.

I'm selling it, so it'd be better with 12 months ticket.

Reply to
A.Lee

Fright can set in when the pedal goes a long way down, probably it will be ok once the leak is corrected and the system bled.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Normally, you get a low fluid light when the reservoir is still about

1/3 full. This should give you braking on the unfailed circuit but you may have to pump the pedal: it is easy to "freeze" with your foot on the floor. Those of us bought up with old wrecks in the 1960's and 70's know all about pumping the brakes if this happens!

I have only had one failure like this, revealed by a puddle under one corner. You would not otherwise know you had a problem if you drive normally. In that case, by filling up the reservoir and ensuring air never got into the system, and driving cautiously, I kept the car on the road for a few days until I could arrange to get the failed pipe replaced. Perhaps not a recommended strategy, but it worked for me.

Reply to
newshound

Trying to remember when dual circuit brakes became mandatory. My '74 Rover P6 didn't have them - the next model, the SD1, has.

On my SD1, the split is to the front calipers. They are four piston types. Two on each side are on the second circuit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Metros often got the twin circuit calipers, front / rear split always seemed a bit pathetic especially on something with a very light rear end, but better than nothing. Even worse were diagonal split, which I am told were on old vauxhalls.

Reply to
MrCheerful

With diagonal split you would certainly know there was a problem. Not so much so with front/rear split.

Reply to
George
[...]

With a front wheel drive car, and front/rear split, loss of the front brakes would be more than 'noticeable'! That's the primary reason diagonal split is near-universal.

Rear brakes on a modern front wheel drive car do next to nothing. That's why the shoes can often last longer than the rest of the vehicle, whilst front pads will have been replaced multiple times.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

ISTR that my Renault 11 was a so-called diagonal split and I was slightly surprised to observe no difference when one circuit failed. However it might have been drums at the front, with one slave cylinder fed off each circuit.

Reply to
newshound

That's probably why the Metro had the split front calipers. Despite being a cheap car, they for some reason gave it quite good brakes. Unlike my SD1.

Never really thought about it - my BMW has single piston slide caliper brakes. Has that a front back split?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)