4L60E

I have a 94 Chevy Astro All Wheel Drive with a 4L60E tranny. The transmision started leaking a while back and I had to remove it and replace the front seal. Since that time it hasn't shifted right and I have gotten one occurance of an "82" code which chilton's lists as a

1-2 shift timeout. The transmission is doing the following. at around 50-55 it seems to downshift almost like you were excellerating and it had down shifted then it will upshift, it will do this even as you slow down. I understand that there are 2 shift solenoids in the tranny controlling shifting and have found these for sale but since removing the tranny I have removed the pan a second time and replaced the filter ( replaced it when I pulled the tranny and changed the seal) I did this because I didn't change the metal/rubber seal on the filter and thought maybe it was bad and causing some kind of blockage. Anyway any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Dan, if you take an ohm meter the shift solinoids should measure 18 ohm forward and backward. Actually if you can simply swap them (they are the same) and see if that causes new symptoms. Personally I would change them both out. Yer call.

82 is a circuit failure of the 1-2 shift solinoid and can cause 2nd and 3rd gears only OR 1st and 4th gears only. Yer situation almost sounds like it is shuttle shifting between gears. Seems to me the code 82 should come back if the solinoid and/or circuit is causing yer trouble.

Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

Thank You for the fast reply, my biggest hestitation was opening the transmission again but I have found the solinoids for a reasonable price and I will probably replace both. I have also found that if I place the transmission in 3rd gear (drive) instead of overdrive that it doesn't shift back and forth it simply shifts 1st, 2nd and 3rd normally. I talked to a mechanic at a transmission shop today who immediately said that the 3-4 clutch pack was gone when I described the problem to him and asked if I had any black residue in the pan. I told him that I did when I changed the the filter and fluid which he then told me that changing them probably made it worse and that the black sludge (which was on the magnet in the pan) was the clutch pack I think he might have been off on this, since the transmission seems to be fine up to 3rd but is having a problem with 4th. The 82 code only came on right after I reinstalled the transmission and took the Van for a test drive which I got it up to 70 MPH since that was where the transmission was leaking badly at higher speeds, I checked it and cleared the computer and it came on once more but I haven't seen it since only my normal drive back and forth to work has a max speed of

55 so it could be that I haven't hit the point for it to come back on. Dan

Reply to
Dan

I would agree. When alls you gots isa hammer alls u see iz nails as the saying goes.

Dan,

I have driven some 4l60E models that don't shift into 4th (OD) till about 55 mph-so it may well be that yer still in 3rd (direct dirive). Easy enough to check simply by moving the shift lever up a notch to see if any further "Activity" takes place. Then you will know the status of what gear yer in. You will end up changing out those solinoids. Bear in mind sometimes they can ohm out and still be bad. Best to start fresh. All in all I find the 4l60E to be much less problematic than it's predecessor the 700R-4-but it likes clean oil (ATF) the solinoids become magnetic when energized and because of that any metallic contaminates in the oil can/will lead to failure to function right. Hang in there and keep making yer good decisions. Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

Pardon me for jumping in your thread here, but I gotta ask

Do these same problems/weaknesses exist in the 4L80E ?? I have one with 41k on it and wonder if I should change filter and fluid ???

Thanks for any advise

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Sellers

Different unit, the 4L80E is designated for "HD" use, in all the 3/4 and 1-ton trucks that don't have a Duramax and some that have the 8.1 (Allison was an option on that engine, IIRC)...

Reply to
Mike Levy

the 4L80E is completely different, it evolved from the TH400 and shares about 75% of it's parts. a regular pan drop and filter at around 30K is a good practice for ANY slushbox.

and yes, I'd do a pan and filter on it.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thanks for the info guys.... I actually bought the filter and fluid about a year ago but I thought it was a bit soon for the change. This truck is 5 years old and has been well cared for during its 41k miles....I hope to be drivin it for a good long time !!!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Sellers