Silverado 6 cyl. 4.3L misfire in multiple cylinders

I have a dummy light comin on and flashin at higher RPM's and a rumble noise when I accelerate. I have changed the plugs, wires, disto cap and rotor, ignition coil, air filter, fuel filter and ran some injector cleaner. Still the problem persists. People are telling me fuel pump and/or timing belt but I am truly hoping for a easier, cheaper fix first. If it doesn't work, its all preventative maintenance anyway. If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Reply to
JQuigs1977

"JQuigs1977" noise when I accelerate. I have changed the plugs, wires, disto cap and

No timing belt, chain and gears on a 4.3 ltr. unless your well over 100k miles on the engine I wouldn't be worried about that.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Cracked Flywheel.. put vehicle in GEAR,, push the BRAKE padal HARD Now Bring up the RPM's

if The Noise Goes away under load then it is The Flywheel ( Automatic Vehicle only... for STICK it wud be loose Flywheel..

other possibilitys,, ROD BEARING

Dummy light is Comming on Because KNOCK SENSOR is Working

Get a BROOM STICK.... Becareful of all moving paerts

Cup your hand around the Stick, Rest your EAR onto THAT HAND

Now Touch The ENGINE.. Move the stick to a different place,, you will hear Where The knock is Comming from as it will Get louder Via Your Hand and EAR.. This works as if You are A DOCTOR listening to Someones lungs or HEART !!

Like I Said,, STAY AWAY from Moving PARTS

Whitelightn> "JQuigs1977" >noise when I accelerate. I have changed the plugs, wires, disto cap and

Reply to
Santa

"JQuigs1977" and a rumble noise when I accelerate.

Describe it. Is it a sharp sound, deep, popcorn popping, what? Does it go away completely when you don't accelerate, or is it not as bad? How does the engine temp have an affect on it (better or worse hot or cold)?

Neither of those could likely cause it. Your vehicle has a chain, not a belt, and it's rare that it jumps and the engine runs for any length of time. Is there any loss of power?

What year is the truck, mileage, and is it standard or automatic?

Reply to
John Alt

It's the "service engine soon" light. The rumble is a deep groan, kinda sounds like an exhaust leak but there in not one. It seems to go away when at idle, but you can still feel a shimmy I guess you can call it. The engine temp doesn't have any difference. It's the same cold or hot. It does feel like a little bit of lost power, can't accelerate like it used to. I was talking to a buddy and he said it might be the o2 sensors because I told him the plugs were black before I changed them, but wouldn't there be a fault code for that too? The truck is a 2001 Silverado

1500, vortec 4.3 Liter, with 59,000 miles, and it's an automatic. Thank you for helping me out.
Reply to
JQuigs1977

Oh and the sound only happens when I am in gear and accelerating. Idle is a bit rough, but now sounds.

Reply to
JQuigs1977

After looking things over, am also noticing a lot of water coming out of the exhaust pipe and air bubbles on the dipstick. Is this a head gasket? Or is it worse or (please say) better. I have also listened to the engine closely and the right side cylinders seem to be making a tapping sound, not too loud though, and the left side are pretty quiet, like normal. PLEASE HELP!! I would also like to check the temp sensor since John had brought that up to me earlier, but I can't find it. Thank you to all of you who have helped out so far.

Reply to
JQuigs1977

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:32:54 -0500, "JQuigs1977"

Reply to
4645