6 cylinders?

Is the S60 or S80 going to go to 6 cylinders anytime soon? My bias against five cylinders is my experience with my old Audi 5000S. I know, I know, it shouldn't be applicable really, but it leaves me worried anyway.

Reply to
Jules

The S80 was 6 cylinder from the start, 2.9L inline 6 and then a bi-turbo version of that engine, the 5 cyl is on AWD models.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The S80 used to have an inline 6. I don't know why they switched to the inline 5 with a turbo. I guess it might give better gas mileage.

AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury

The new model S80 has the option for the V8 from the XC90

"Jules" schreef in bericht news:M0Rzf.7310$ snipped-for-privacy@read2.cgocable.net...

Reply to
Volvo-480-V70

S80 was and is six cylinder except for diesel versions which are five cylinder. At least in UK that is.

Nothing wrong with five cylinder engines, they first appeared in UK in 1935 in an omnibus chassis. This was the Gardner LT diesel engine used by bus operators like Lincolnshire Road Car Company. They were fitted in Bristol chassis. With this engine the operators achieved around 24mpg!!

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK)
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

The Volvo 5 and 6 cylinder inline engines are excellent motors. The PRV V6 they used for a few years is relatively crappy but that hasn't been made in around 15 years.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's more powerful, unless you're referring to the turbocharged inline 6.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks for the information. I am looking at getting an AWD version of a

60 or 80. Leaning towards the 80, but was scared of the 5 cylinder. I thought I heard 'somewhere' that the next model year will be an inline
  1. Because I would be willing to wait.

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
The Visitor

Reply to
The Visitor

No reason to be scared of the 5 cylinder engines, they're fantastic motors. Incredibly smooth, good power, good fuel economy, and they've proven to be very dependable having been around for well over a decade now. They're a good compromise between the power and smoothness of a 6 and economy of a 4. Personally I'd take the 5 over the 6 simply from the fuel economy perspective, the extra couple mpg really adds up over the years.

Reply to
James Sweet

The S80 is equipped with the straight 6, at least in the US market.

That said, the Volvo 5 cylinder is an excellent little motor.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Used to be. Now it is only offered with the turbo-5.

AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury

How come we (UK) get it with T6 engine which is twin-turbo six? Soon we will have it with the 4.5Litre Yamaha V8 even.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

I don't know why. It used to be available here with the inline-6 - both normally aspirated and turbocharged. In the UK, you also get it as a turbo- charged diesel inline-5, which has never been sold here.

Now, it is only available as a turbocharged inline-5. The US specs are here:

The rumor is that there's an update to the inline-6 that will available soon, and when it is, the US S80 will get that engine.

AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury