Cyl 6 Misfire

The vehicle is a ?95 4.3L Jimmy (W series V6) with a stocker ignition, new cap/rotor/coil/plugs/wires

I have a Cyl 6 misfire and I have a few questions... To start, I just > replaced all the plug wires with relatively decent Taylor 8.2mm Thundervolts. > I¹ve used these in the past and had very reliable results. Nonetheless, when > I run the truck in pitch dark and I look at the #6 wire, I see arching right > behind the boot. > > 1. Is it possible to have this arching at cyl 6 WITHOUT a leak in the wire? > 2. Is it wrong of my to be livid that I have a bad wire out of the box? I > used plug pliers to install them and dielectric grease on each end. I don¹t > know how the hell I could have been anymore carefull. > 3. Could this be caused by a bad coil pack? I replaced the coil last year but > I guess some have luck similar to mine with coils in terms of repeat > failures?? > > > > Thanks and take care, > Andrew. > >
Reply to
AWN

Probably the outside of the spark plug is "tracked.' Look for a thin line on the shell. you may be able to feel it with a fingernail. When a track burns down the outside of the plug it damages the plug and the wire boot both. Replace one and not the other and the arcing will continue and your new plug or wire will be damaged.

Don

Don