Throttle Body Injector

While servicing my 90 model chev with TBI, I discovered there was no vacuum at the PCV valve. The hose was open back to the TBI port, but stopped up solid in the TBI vacuum port. I have punched it out with a screw driver and sprayed a full can of carb cleaner in it, but it is still plugged. Does anyone have a better idea about how to clean it? What are the pit falls to watch for if I have to remove it? What are the chances of messing up the TPS

It must make a 90 deg turn and I have it cleaned out to the turn. I am thinking I will have to remove it and come in from the other side. What do you guys think?

Reply to
mcwb60

Motorbret

read it again

it's plugged INSIDE the TB, not the PCV

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Charles, I just did this on my neighbor's truck.. It ran like shit. You can take the throttlebody off and clean it out (just don't take it apart).

A new gasket is about 7 bucks. Be careful, don't gouge the TBI or Manifold surfaces. I use brake cleaner and TBI cleaner to get all that carbon outta there. Get yourself a Haynes book, it's great for general reference like this, and are about $15.00 or so.

The bigger question is why did it become clogged in the first place? I'll bet the EGR port in the intake is clogged up too....

RK

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Nobody

Please excuse me if this topic has already been beat to death. I don't often get a chance to read this newsgroup.

I bought a used 2000 1/2 ton X-cab Chevy 5.3L that had quite a few miles on it and wanted to change the A/T fluid and filter. What a job! I had to take most of the exhaust system out and cross member just to get the pan off to change the filter. This is retrograde engineering from my old '93! It turns out my wife's 2001 Suburban has the same set up. Something that should have been a fairly simply job is now ridiculous.

So, I'd like to put in a pretty much straight back dual exhaust system to avoid this mess and improve performance as well, though the performance isn't my main consideration.

Can anyone recommend a good engineered (not a weld shop job) system that won't break the pocket book? Also, can the current catalytic converters be reused or will new ones have to be installed with the new system. I'd like to reuse as much of the old system as possible. Both cars have the four O2 sensors and Y pipe now.

Thanks very much for any insight and recommendations!

-Jim

Reply to
jabitz

if you run your vehicle without one, you're emmitting super-deadly gases unto us all. You may also run into problems passing smog.

Huh! What super deadly gas would you be talking about. Someone must be listening to Dianne Feinstein. PCV was designed to recover engine blowby gases. Which could I guess if the rings were gone contain some CO. BUt super deadly NAH! Your emissions will be off the norm , true.

Reply to
Dan Calhoun

just go get a new tb gasket from your local parts store .. mine was like

Reply to
W.Rowe

I had the same problem on an old Chevy van ( carbed ). I used an old piece of spedomotor cable and a drill to snake in the port. It took a while couple of hours.

Mike

Reply to
MIDEMETZ

yeah you need to take it off and clean it out.all you have to remember is not to just rip into it if you dont know what your doing and remember what you unhook.how many miles are on the car?Replace the gaskets too many times ive seen people tey to save money use the old ones and when they get it back togeather hear it leaking and have too do it all over again .what about your PCV valve has it got stuck? let us know how it turns out it should only take you a coulple of hours its not too hard of a task

Reply to
Steve Cook