Throttle body cleaning

In some messages I see references to a throttle body cleaning. Should it be done like a maintenance item, on a regular basis? If yes, how often should it be done (mileage/months)? How to do it, or where may I find the description?

Thank you,

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

I do mine every year. Use pliers to loosen the clamp on the air-intake hose, and pull it off, it may take some twisting, but it will come off with effort. I prefer to do this on a warm engine. Use a can of carburetor cleaner, and with the engine running, spray into the throttle body, but you will need to rev the engine while doing, otherwise you will stall.

Reply to
Skid

I know this is sometimes just a scam the dealers run. They say they'll clean the throttle body, but all they do is spray some Gumout into the throat, maybe put something in the gas, and then charge you $50 or so.

Normally it shouldn't need cleaning unless you've been using bad gas, backfiring a lot, or running without the air cleaner. Usually you'd only do it if symptoms suggested it was needed.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

air-intake hose,

carburetor

Don't use carburetor cleaner. Get cleaner that says it is for throttle bodies. The carb clean is too aggressive for some of the TB parts. I use an old tooth brush to clean the plate. They seem to get gummed up pretty easy. Once a year and you shouldn't have to deal with the symptoms a dirty plate can cause. Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

I suspected that TB cleaner was 'watered down', actually, I found it worked *better* than carb cleaner....

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski