94 S-10 DIY friendly?

I am looking at 94-95 S-10 pickup trucks, I maintain all my cars myself but I have never had a Chevy, the one I will be getting will be beat-up so I can get for cheap and use as winter beater, I am ready for some inevitable repair jobs. Is S-10 a repair friendly truck? how about the cost and availability for parts? Also I-4 and 4.3 vortec which is easier to work on?

Your comments will be appreciated.

Don

Reply to
D. J

I have a '95 S-10 basic model and the electrical system sucks. I hear this is common, after I bought it of course. The electrical is costly so far. Simple repairs require more extensive labor even though the parts are relatively cheap (in terms of price and quality).

Reply to
Xavier

If you DEFINATELY want a pickup, maybe look at the 93 S-10's. It's gauranteed to be one you can read codes from with a paperclip. If you can live with a utility, the 94 Jimmy/Blazer is pretty good. I have a

94 with 113,000 on it. This year has hit me hard with maintenence, all kinds of fluid changes (gotta do them anyway), rear brakes, alternator and fuel pump. The last 2 were only in the last month. Until the pump went, this truck had never left me stranded on the side of the road, except when I wrecked it.

4.3 is a little tight >I am looking at 94-95 S-10 pickup trucks, I maintain all my cars myself but

Reply to
Mike Levy

The I-4 on a 95 has no power without a load, it takes for ever to get it up to 70+mph. as for the 4.3L I test drove some and couldn't separate from my

96 c1500 with the 4.3L due to the lack of power on take off. All the vehicles were 5-speed std. that I test drove or drove. I had no problem with the C1500 in snow and Ice. All also was 2x4. As for the electrical problem I saw it in the s-10 and full size pickup in '95, lights, windshield wipers, etc.
Reply to
bubba in italy