VSS Silverado

Hey everyone, I have been having problems with my speedometer and odometer... both work every now and then... I tried a a different cluster same problem.

I finally brought the truck to the Chev dealer after one hour and a half the guy still has not found the problem. He says it might be the VSS but he wants to check all of the wiring from the VSS to the cluster.

He did check the wires from the VSS to the computer under the hood they were ok, now he wants to leave the computer and check the wiring towards the cluster.

Should I just go ahead and buy a new VSS before I go back to the dealer. He did not really tell me if a VSS could be tested or not. He did test the cluster with the GM computer thing and it seems ok. He did alot of other test also.

He had the wheels lifted, the truck in gear and the computer was able to read the speed does that mean the VSS is good, the guy was unable to tell me.

I should mention that this truck has been restored it was flooded.

I am just worried that once the dealer found out this was a rebuilt truck they wanted to play around and say it is a wiring problem.

Thanks

nevlis

Reply to
silven

silven wrote in news:Xns94E7565237B63silvencanadacom@206.167.113.5:

It is a 2000 silverado 4*4 automatic

Reply to
silven

if the truck was under water expect lots of electrical problems. it very well could just be the vss also.....how deep was the water?

Reply to
Scott M

"Scott M" wrote in news:HVqoc.21134$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.socal.rr.com:

It was up to the Dash... but this vehicle was running for at least 6 months before this problem started...

How can I tell if a VSS is good or not?

thanks for the reply

Reply to
silven

silven wrote in news:Xns94E7747DB326Bsilvencanadacom@206.167.113.5:

He also connected his multimeter to the VSS but was unable to determine anything from that.

What I want to know is how come he was able to control the speedometer with his gm computer... Does the gm computer pass through the main truck computer under the hood? If so does that not mean that I have good wiring going through?

Would someone know which wires I should follow from the main computer to the cluster for the speedometer... since it will be another week before my next appointment... maybe I can check things out a little on my own.

Thanks everyone

Reply to
silven

Does the speedo not work at all? Never? If so sounds like something different from the VSS because you said the computer knows the speed. If the comp knows the speed then its working. Just so you know, expect electrical problems from now on, could be years from now also. I've had experiance with a few cars that ended up in canals and they all had little anoying, hard to find, elect problems the rest of their life. If I owned that truck I would buy a wiring diagram for sure. Also...get under the hood and dash and check every main electrical plug you can find for water in it. If you have the ability, pull the gage cluster and check for dirt/corosion at the plugs and even inside it. Did your insurance save this truck? Maybe you can find a solution from them? Good Luck

Reply to
Scott M

"Scott M" wrote in news:Z7Noc.21988$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.socal.rr.com:

The speedo will work sometimes for short periods.

No it was not my truck when it went in the water...

It was truck I bought knowing it was in the water because the price seemed good and truck was in perfect working condition..

I know for sure the people who restored this vehicle changed the cluster.. and main computer...

I did have the cluster out and everything looks fine with the wires

The GM tech was also able to control the Speedometer with his test module computer...

I tried a different cluster and it was the same.

I now believe that it is in the wiring.

Would you know which wire(s) to follow from the main computer towards the cluster?

Because the GM tech was able to access the speedometer with his module does that not mean there is a good connection running to the cluster?

Sorry for all the questions I am just trying to learn a little more so I can test before my next GM appointment, they did not have enough time to finish the job on Monday at $70 per hour it is a little costly.

Thanks for your post

Reply to
nevlis

================== Sorry I cant be of more help without a wiring diag. It might have a "buffer" for the speedo between the ECM and head, I really dont know for sure. Check plugs for corosion by just unplugging and plugging them in. See if you can get a diagram for it and do it yourself. $70 an hour chasing electrical problems can get expensive. You could also put the back up on blocks and let it idle in gear. have someone watch the speedo for you. wiggle wires and see if it comes alive. Might get lucky and get you in the general area of the problem (if its a bad connection)....GL

Reply to
Scott M

I did read most of the posts. My question would be this. If you have a problem with the VSS. It really should set an error code in the ECM. Since it controls other engine functions The other question is do you notice any changes in the trucks performance?

Just something I did not see addressed in the post. But what do I know... Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks

Reply to
Kahlua53

Hey everyone thanks for all your help. I found the problem

The problem was a bad connection to the Cruise Control module under the hood.

Thanks

Reply to
nevlis

=============== Cool! just out of curiosity....Was it corroded from water in the plug?

Reply to
Scott M

"Scott M" wrote in news:I84qc.45$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.socal.rr.com:

It was corroded from water.

I took the module apart and it is finished rusted resistors falling off. The guy who rebuilt this thing forgot to clean it out... Now I have to get one.

I guess I will have to really verify everything on the truck to see if the same mistake was made in other places.

Thanks for the post

Reply to
nevlis