VSS Silverado

Hey everyone, I have been having problems with my speedometer and odometer... both work every now and then... I tried a a different
cluster same problem.
I finally brought the truck to the Chev dealer after one hour and a half the guy still has not found the problem. He says it might be the VSS but he wants to check all of the wiring from the VSS to the cluster.
He did check the wires from the VSS to the computer under the hood they were ok, now he wants to leave the computer and check the wiring towards the cluster.
Should I just go ahead and buy a new VSS before I go back to the dealer. He did not really tell me if a VSS could be tested or not. He did test the cluster with the GM computer thing and it seems ok. He did alot of other test also.
He had the wheels lifted, the truck in gear and the computer was able to read the speed does that mean the VSS is good, the guy was unable to tell me.
I should mention that this truck has been restored it was flooded.
I am just worried that once the dealer found out this was a rebuilt truck they wanted to play around and say it is a wiring problem.
Thanks
nevlis

It is a 2000 silverado 4*4 automatic
I can't see them playing around. Myself, I would take the steps that you said they are taking. Wiring can be a large problem. Perhaps one was nicked or worn through. I have even seen where a wire was extended and it cause a problem. Cam

Sounds good thanks for the reply...
However, do you think it could be the VSS? Every now and then everything works fine.
Thanks

usually if it's the VSS it would set a code and MIL would be on. also shifting and acceleration would be different than normal since the ECM would think either you are standing still or speeding.

Thanks everyone, The connection to the VSS looked good he also tested the wires from the VSS to the main computer under the hood and everything seems ok. I guess I will let him continue his work from the main computer to the cluster. He also connected his multimeter to the VSS but was unable to determine anything from that.
What I want to know is how come he was able to control the speedometer with his gm computer... Does the gm computer pass through the main truck computer under the hood? If so does that not mean that I have good wiring going through?
Thanks everyone

Would someone know which wires I should follow from the main computer to the cluster for the speedometer... since it will be another week before my next appointment... maybe I can check things out a little on my own.
I'd like to know what garage is letting you stand over their shoulder as they work.
~KJ/TLGM

My local GM dealer has nothing to hide... I watched every step and read every instruction that came out of his computer... He showed me every step on his diagnostics computer and answered all my questions.
Actually whenever I have one of my vehicles break... I always ask if I could go in and watch... and here in Quebec they don`t seem to have a problem
Thanks for the post.
Here we have retarded liberals that would ask to go in and then sue when they got hurt. But it isn't really that they have something to hide but that they have work to get done. Answering your questions in my opinion isn't the service tech's job. Guess he gets hourly out there.
~KJ/TLGM

Hey everyone thanks for all your help. I found the problem
The problem was a bad connection to the Cruise Control module under the hood.
Thanks
And he replied to me because?
~KJ/TLGM