VSS Silverado

Hey everyone, I have been having problems with my speedometer and odometer... both work every now and then... I tried a a different cluster same problem.

I finally brought the truck to the Chev dealer after one hour and a half the guy still has not found the problem. He says it might be the VSS but he wants to check all of the wiring from the VSS to the cluster.

He did check the wires from the VSS to the computer under the hood they were ok, now he wants to leave the computer and check the wiring towards the cluster.

Should I just go ahead and buy a new VSS before I go back to the dealer. He did not really tell me if a VSS could be tested or not. He did test the cluster with the GM computer thing and it seems ok. He did alot of other test also.

He had the wheels lifted, the truck in gear and the computer was able to read the speed does that mean the VSS is good, the guy was unable to tell me.

I should mention that this truck has been restored it was flooded.

I am just worried that once the dealer found out this was a rebuilt truck they wanted to play around and say it is a wiring problem.

Thanks

nevlis

Reply to
silven

silven wrote in news:Xns94E75630BD922silvencanadacom@206.167.113.5:

It is a 2000 silverado 4*4 automatic

Reply to
silven

"Cam" wrote in news:f%toc.2925$j6.2459@edtnps84:

Sounds good thanks for the reply...

However, do you think it could be the VSS? Every now and then everything works fine.

Thanks

Reply to
silven

usually if it's the VSS it would set a code and MIL would be on. also shifting and acceleration would be different than normal since the ECM would think either you are standing still or speeding.

Reply to
StyxNStones®

"StyxNStones®" wrote in news:ajvoc.78501$Ik.5767242 @attbi_s53:

Thanks everyone, The connection to the VSS looked good he also tested the wires from the VSS to the main computer under the hood and everything seems ok. I guess I will let him continue his work from the main computer to the cluster. He also connected his multimeter to the VSS but was unable to determine anything from that.

What I want to know is how come he was able to control the speedometer with his gm computer... Does the gm computer pass through the main truck computer under the hood? If so does that not mean that I have good wiring going through?

Thanks everyone

Reply to
silven

silven wrote in news:Xns94E855A4D220Esilvencanadacom@206.167.113.5:

Would someone know which wires I should follow from the main computer to the cluster for the speedometer... since it will be another week before my next appointment... maybe I can check things out a little on my own.

Reply to
silven

I'd like to know what garage is letting you stand over their shoulder as they work.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

"KJ" wrote in news:TvWoc.2312$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

My local GM dealer has nothing to hide... I watched every step and read every instruction that came out of his computer... He showed me every step on his diagnostics computer and answered all my questions.

Actually whenever I have one of my vehicles break... I always ask if I could go in and watch... and here in Quebec they don`t seem to have a problem

Thanks for the post.

Reply to
nevlis

Here we have retarded liberals that would ask to go in and then sue when they got hurt. But it isn't really that they have something to hide but that they have work to get done. Answering your questions in my opinion isn't the service tech's job. Guess he gets hourly out there.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

Hey everyone thanks for all your help. I found the problem

The problem was a bad connection to the Cruise Control module under the hood.

Thanks

Reply to
nevlis

And he replied to me because?