5w-30 vs. 10w-30

i own an '00 sebring 53k and was wondering which oil to use; the 10w or the 5w? i live in iowa and wanted to try Mobil 1 10w-30. this is the first time i have used syn oil. i have previously used conventional 5w-30 in this car. i just wanted to know everyones thoughts on the matter. thanks

-- thayerdog

View this thread:

Send from

thayerdog

In cold weather 5W will pump much faster than 10W, saving considerable bearing and ring wear. 10W if fine for Florida and Mexico and Southern Calf.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

What Richard said, although Mobil 1 does flow freer at low temperatures than dino oil.

Reply to
Marc

5w? i live in iowa and wanted to try Mobil 1 10w-30. this is the first time i have used syn oil. i have previously used conventional 5w-30 in this car. i just wanted to know everyones thoughts on the matter. thanks.

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer. However, synthetic 10W-30 will pump better at below zero temps than 5W-30 dino oil. So you are better off even with the 10W synthetic in the winter.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

5w? i live in iowa and wanted to try Mobil 1 10w-30. this is the first time i have used syn oil. i have previously used conventional 5w-30 in this car. i just wanted to know everyones thoughts on the matter. thanks.

Use what the owners manual recommends for your area. The only difference between the two oils you mention will be the viscosity when COLD. Once the engine is warm, they should be identical.

Reply to
Steve

Use the oil the manufacturer recommends. It expect it's 5W- in your winter climate. I'd also recommend Dura lube treatments every 30K miles or so, based on my many years of successful experience with it in several cars. Dura lube reduces that engine wearing start up friction. IMO synthetic oil isn't needed for ordinary legal driving in your area.

Reply to
Spam Hater

It is needed much more than Duralube is needed.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting