5w-30 oil

Is anybody using 5w-30 motor oil in their Focus? Any problems with it?

Reply to
Vic Dura

Yes. (In UK)

Why would there be?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 09:22:42 GMT, Chris Whelan wrote Re Re: 5w-30 oil:

I was just wondering. I can't think of why there would be a problem, but I'm not expert on these matters. I'm in the U.S. with a new Focus (2005) and planning to use the 5w30 instead of the 5w20 because I can't find the 5w20 in gallon containers locally.

Reply to
Vic Dura

I see. In Europe, 5w30 semi- or fully-synthetic is the recommended grade. The change interval is 12,500 miles, which is probably a bit higher than in the U.S.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:39:30 GMT, Chris Whelan wrote Re Re: 5w-30 oil:

That's interesting. In the U.S. the recommendations are 5w20 oil with a change interval ranging from 3,000 miles for mostly urban driving to

7,000 miles for mostly "highway" driving. I seem to recall the owner's manual mentioning a longer interval for the synthetic oils but don't recall off-hand what it is.

BTW, since you are in the U.K. I wonder if I might ask if Sunbeam and Truimph autos are still made there? I don't follow autos much any more but my first car was a 1961 Sunbeam Alpine I purchased in 1965 and my second car was a 1965 Triumph TR4 that I purchased in 1968.

I loved both of those cars.

Reply to
Vic Dura

Both long gone I'm afraid.

In fact, the Sunbeam company went bankrupt in 1943, but the name was sold to the Rootes group. (Hillman, Humber et al). Rootes in turn sold 30% of the company to Chrysler in 1964. The last Sunbeam produced was the 1978 Rapier, although the Sunbeam name was used for a small Chrysler hatchback at the end of the '70's. Peugot now have the rights to the name I believe.

The Triumph factory was destroyed during bombing in WW2. The name was bought by the Standard Motor Company.In 1956 the company became Standard-Triumph, then was sold to Leyland Motors in 1961. The last Triumph car was the TR7/8, finishing production in 1982. The name was last used on a rebadged version of the Honda Ballade, called the Triumph Acclaim. The brand name is now owned by BMW.

I too loved British sports cars from the era you mention, especially the Alpine.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In alt.autos.ford.focus Vic Dura :

AFAIK 5w30 full-synthetic once a year or every 20000 km (~12500 miles) whatever comes first for petrol engines.

Curious, had a Ford Sierra turbo diesel before and it had smaller interval as usual for a diesel engine 10000 km (~6250 miles) oil+filter. Always went with the recommendation, it had done about 240000km (~150000 miles) when I bought the Focus and the engine was still running like new.

But then, any Ford owned by me was almost fallen apart from rust, while the engine was still running like a charm. Don't expect the Focus to behave any different. Had already fixed rust on the rear door (Ghia wagon) by Ford through rust warranty. 12 years can be pretty long, so we'll see what comes next?

Reply to
Michael Heiming

"" wrote: > Is anybody using 5w-30 motor oil in their Focus? Any problems > with it? > -- > To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

I have used Amsoil Synthetic 5W30 oil with no problems on my ?02 Focus SE (Station Wagon). One oil change per year (Amsoil suggested schedule) and now 87000 miles. Almost no oil used between changes. One quarts added for the 6 month filter change. (1 quart).

USA, Southeastern Michigan.

Reply to
mathman

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:37:39 GMT, Chris Whelan wrote Re Re: 5w-30 oil (now very OT!):

Oh yes, thanks for refreshing my memory. I do remember the names "Roots" and "Leyland" now that you mentioned it; although I didn't know the history. Too bad they are gone now. They were both a joy to drive and easy to work on. I especially liked the looks on people's faces when the battery on the Alpine would get weak and I would pull out the crank to turn the engine over by hand.

Reply to
Vic Dura

I have used ordinary 5W30 oil for the last 5 years in my 2001 Zetec Focus. With no problems.

In hot climates 10W30 should be used.

Ford specifies 5W20 so as to meet CAFE requirements as far a fuel efficiency, apparently you can get about .01% more miles to the gallon. Big deal. This is a no brainer on what to use 5W20 oil is at least double the price of regular 5W30, same protection..

Reply to
Henri

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:04:01 GMT, "Henri" wrote Re Re: 5w-30 oil OK:

That about what I would guess, but as I mentioned in a previous post I don't have any specific knowledge in the matter so I wanted to ask here.

I guess when you are trying to make up of the big SUVs, every little bit helps (them) regardless of how it effects us.

Thanks for the comments.

Reply to
Vic Dura

This will tell you all you need to know and more:

EOO

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:23:56 -0400, "EOO" wrote Re Re: 5w-30 oil:

Thanks. A lot of info there.

Reply to
Vic Dura

Doesn't anything other than 5W20 invaliate the drivetrain warranty? Just asking?

Ron

Reply to
Ron Joiner

If you were to go to your dealer for an oil change, they will more than likely use 5w30 unless you agree to pay a premium for 5w20. This happened to me and I asked the service manager and he said 5w30 is A-ok for the car.

Reply to
EOO

:>Vic Dura wrote: :>> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:04:01 GMT, "Henri" :>> wrote Re Re: 5w-30 oil OK: :>> :>> :>>>I have used ordinary 5W30 oil for the last 5 years in my 2001 Zetec Focus. :>>>With no problems. :>>>

:>>>In hot climates 10W30 should be used. :>>>

:>>>Ford specifies 5W20 so as to meet CAFE requirements as far a fuel :>>>efficiency, apparently you can get about .01% more miles to the gallon. Big :>>>deal. This is a no brainer on what to use 5W20 oil is at least double the :>>>price of regular 5W30, same protection.. :>> :>> :>> That about what I would guess, but as I mentioned in a previous post I :>> don't have any specific knowledge in the matter so I wanted to ask :>> here. :>> :>> I guess when you are trying to make up of the big SUVs, every little :>> bit helps (them) regardless of how it effects us. :>> :>> Thanks for the comments. :>Doesn't anything other than 5W20 invaliate the drivetrain warranty? Just :>asking? :>

:>Ron

Technically yes. BTW, SVT states to only use 5W30 on the SVTF engine. I don't know if this is also true for the European ST-170 but I understand if uses pretty much the same engine as the US SVTF. Unfortunately, at least on the SVTF, that information is in a supplement to the owner's manual and a lot of people have missed that requirement. BTW, I've had mine in for service twice now at 2 different "SVT Dealers" and both of them would have put 5W20 in if I hadn't stopped them.

me/2

Reply to
me/2

Er..No.

I have a 1.6LX (2001) (UK) - the manual specifically states 5w30...

Reply to
CJM

Here in germany you must use 5W30 in all focus motors Never heard from 5W20 ???

"Vic Dura" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Norbert Völkel

I believe this requirement is on US cars only. The oil cap of my US ZX3 2.0 Zetec says 5 W-20 as well as in the manual. I have used 5 W-30 when 5 W-20 was not available at the retailer I normally use to purchase motor oil and filters.

Reply to
John R Cambron

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 17:01:03 +0200, "Norbert Völkel" wrote Re Re: 5w-30 oil:

Here in the U.S. the owner's manual specifies 5w20. I'm just going to use 5w30 instead.

Reply to
Vic Dura