rack and pinion prices for a LH car

I been look on the net for a rack and pinion replacement for my 1996 Eagle Vision TSI

But, I have confused over the range of prices of this part.

From a "low" of $119.95 to a "high" $525.00

Except for the difference between re-manufactured and new.

What can explain such a price range?

When one say "rack and pinion unit" is it one part, or a group of parts that when combined make up a rack and pinion?

And that "cheaper" the unit the more bare bones it is and the more extra parts it need to make it a complete unit?

And on the flip side, the "expensive" unit has all the necessary part right out of the box to be installed on said car with-out any more parts?

Reply to
Zentraleinheit

Actually, Chrysler DID NOT design the basic LH-car platfrom. RENAULT did! (Premier / Monaco, etc.) When they bought AMC, this platform, and the Toronto-area ass'y plant, came with the deal.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Ehrenberg

That old rumor is WAY overdue to die- the LH has nothing in common with the Renault platform, EXCEPT the rather uncommon FWD/longitudinal engine layout. The LH platform actually started out as a transverse layout, but was switched due to (among other things) plans to offer an AWD version that never materialized. Reportedly a "mule" that was used to mock-up the LH drivetrain was built on an old Monaco/Premier chassis, and that may have started the rumor.

Richard Ehrenberg wrote:

Reply to
Steve