citroen xantia fuel gauge

I bought a 96 xantia 1.9 td sx and the fuel gauge reads almost full all of the time, even when its empty. I tried a second hand fuel gauge and another
tank sender unit but its still the same. Has anyone got any idea what the problem might be.

‚úĖ

Sticking float?
CAS
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Its not the float, as I said I even tried another complete tank sender unit and it didn't make any difference.

‚úĖ

sender wire shorted to earth somewhere
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Try running a wire from the sender body to a good ground point, you may not be getting a good return path for the signal. Dave

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Try putting a new ground connection from the sender body to a good earth. I had the same problem with a vauxhall where the sender gasket and tank rubber mounts meant the sender did not have a good earth return circuit. Dave Vickers

Add pictures here
‚úĖ