1966 Vette - How Much is it Worth?

I have a red stock 1966 Vette, 350 engine (I have the original 327 in storage), black convertible top, 40,000 miles. It hasn't been run for a few years and it needs a new rear end. The gas tank, fuel lines, calipers and a few other parts have been removed for restoration but are still sitting in boxes and the transmission will have to be overhauled. It will take a few grand to bring back to driving condition and I'm not sure if I want to restore it before sale. On the outside and inside it looks beautiful. Any idea what it's worth? Thanks.

Reply to
MReyes

Probably the only way to find out for sure is to auction it off on eBay with a lot of pictures, warts and all.

In lieu of that, do some research on eBay to see what recent cars have been bringing (or not bringing, depending on the seller's reserve or the buyers that were looking during the week it was on eBay).

You didn't say what transmission or differential you have, or the HP of the original engine, or what options the car has. The originality of every part on the car will be important to some buyers, as will evidence of past collision damage, any corrosion, and the quality of the paint and chrome finishes.

Special performance or amenity options can make a huge difference in prices. Considering that a recently-restored example with few options can bring $45k+, buyers will be comparing your car to cars with new paint, top, upholstery, flawless frame, new rubber, etc, etc and deciding if they want to buy your project or spend the money upfront to buy a creampuff they can enjoy driving from day 1.

A really rough guess would be $30k as it sits, with the original engine. Might be worth your while to get the work completed (and price it accordingly), since that will make it attractive to more buyers, especially if they can drive it before buying.

If you have an eBay sign-on, here's a link that shows some recently-completed auctions of 1966 Vettes, many of which did not sell:

WayneC

I'll give you $1,500 for it. =)

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light