Broken nipple

Well, I tried bleeding the brakes the other day on my 95. I had the pressure bleeder at 15psi on the reservoir, taking my time, did the rear, flushed all the old 10 year old crap out of the lines. Got both the rear
calipers done, did the front left, the nipple was tight as hell but got her done, moved to the front right, and <*SNAP*> the nipple broke off in the caliper. AAAARRRGGHHHH!!! Went to Sears, bought an easy-out, drilled the hole a little bigger, soaked it with penetrating oil, and snapped the easy out! After trying to drill THAT out I give up. Looks like I'm just going to have to replace the front calipers. One thing I thought was strange was the order the book said to bleed them in, left rear, right rear, left front, right front. I'm going to replace both the front calipers while I'm at it, probably switch to stainless flex lines too all the way around just for the hell of it. Another weekend project. When any of my other cars break I get pissed, when this thing breaks I look at it like "oh boy, I get to work on the vette!" lol :)

======================My question is....why only 15 pounds of pressure in the bleeder tank? I have been using between 20 and 25 which I think is the amount specified in the manual ...(is the C4 only 15 #'s)
My only advice is to buy FOUR more Corvettes so you can own 5 like I do... you honestly will be able to say Oh Boy I can work on "a" vette every day.... lol
I say this because there is something small wrong with each of the cars 99 percent of the time... never much but it sure keeps me busy...BUT like you I enjoy the time in the garages...
I am putting calibers on my 76 ..and while I did not break the nipple I did break the fitting from the solid fuel line...just like you it just snapped...only 15 bucks and a 80 mile drive to pick up another fuel line...
Drove my 95 to pick up the line, yesterday morning, took the 64 out last evening for the local Saturday night Cruise, in a few minutes I will dust the 72 off and head down the road to check out the cars at a Corvette Only show ...
Great weekend ....3 cars out of the garage for the 1st time since last year... and a few minutes spent Breaking the 76.... Grass looks like it should be cut ...high lumps here and there etc...but that will have to wait....,
Bob Griffiths 68 SS 396 Chevelle 64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes
LOLOLOLOL
Bob G. wrote:

--
Ric Seyler

I WISH I could afford another car now, got my vette and wife got a new Jeep Grand Cherokee to get groceries in the mud. lol The rest of the system could take more pressure sure, but I'm just not too sure about the reservoir where the power bleeder hooks up, that part isn't usually pressurized. 15# is plenty for a good steady fluid flow either way. Calipers are gonna cost me $60 per side in the front, and they probably won't take the core from the front right one due to the twisted nipple, so that might be $100 for that one. Just looking at Eckler's prices for rebuilt.

If you have a drill press, you are in luck. If not, a steady hand will get you out of a lot of trouble.
Get a new bleeder or remove one from the other side. You need it to size a drill bit.
Buy a reverse drill bit. Most people have no idea what this is, but it is simple, it is a drill bit that cuts in reverse. It is NOT an easy out. Those things are a curse on mechanics. Being hardened, they tend to snap rather than twist and let you know they have gone too far. If they twisted, you could back them out. Instead, they snap and leave a hardened bit in there that is really hard to drill out.
Reverse drill bits can be found at some mom & pop hardware stores, and at specialty fastener stores. You won't find them at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc.
Use some grease on the bit and drill as slowly as you can. The grease will collect the chips and keep the caliper clean. Slow drilling will let you not snap a bit, too. Drill slightly under the thread size of the hole.
Go to Sears and get a rethreading kit. These are NOT taps, but a rethreader which looks like a self-tapping bolt or a bolt with lengthwise cuts across the threads.
Patience and you are there.
If worse comes to worse, you can redrill slightly larger and tap for the next size up bleeder, available at places like NAPA. Be sure to get the next size up BEFORE you drill, because they are not available in every fraction of an inch.

rear,
rear
the
easy
going
on
I have this really great deal going with my wife. Whatever I spend on the vette I have to buy her a gift that costs half as much (I had to get her a diamond bracelet when I got the body kit installed and painted). So if I spend $200 on new calipers and brake lines I have to buy her something for $100 to "smooth it over". lol

I don't know about your wife, but if I told mine I bought new calipers for $1.50 her response would be "ok you owe me a cup of coffee"

got
drilled
strange
at
for
break
work
minutes
at
last
like
have
Bob G. wrote: <snip>

<snip>
Bob, with all due respect, your comment leaves the impression that you are an insecure braggart. It doesn't make your penis any bigger by posting a list of the vehicles you purport to own. It simply gives rise to scepticism about your motives. We ARE NOT IMPRESSED!!! This message isn't intended to offend. It's merely to express an observation about your apparent insecurities about your small penis.
As Bob G. so eloquently stated:

LOL I was thinking the exact same thing today!!!!
--
Tom

"That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest."
Bob G. wrote:

Hey, why not SEVEN so you can work on a different Vette EVERY day of the week???

====================I wish.... .... need to cut the grass at least twice a week this time of year . That fills out my work week... lol.... in the winter I just stay insode and stay warm.. Bob
Bob G. wrote:

As Jack Nicholson said: "The truth? You can't handle the truth!"
Ok, now I need to order calipers to replace my old crusty ones. But first I need to figure out what I have. I measured the rotor and it looked like 13", but my calipers look like the non HD kind which I thought only came with the 12" rotors. How can I figure out what I have and what I need to order? It's a '95 and I read some place that all the 95's had the 13" rotors, but did they also have HD and non HD brake calipers? If so I have the non HD 13" setup, or maybe my eyes are failing me. lol