C3 Stock or Custom?

I'm getting ready to fix up a '80 vette and am struggling with whether I should restore it to stock or go custom. It's a LG4 that runs good but is pretty beat up. Is there a value in restoring a ca smogged 305 cu in vette to original spec?

Reply to
Modocer

Not IMO. Hey, it's your car. Make it what you want it to be and if you go non-stock store away all the original stuff.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

This is a real toss up. It depends on how original the car is right now. My feeling is to preserve those that survived and remained original and any that are rare (i.e., desirable) and do what you want with the rest. Note that I equate rare with desirable, as a 3 speed '69 is a rare car, but who wants one, like the infamous C3 that is green with a red interior.

Unfortunately, the price is going up on all the mid '70s to early '80s C3s now so saying the price is nothing isn't true anymore. However, I doubt you find a significant different (couple of thousand $$), and definitely less than the cost of restoration.

Plus, a 305 is less than desirable and a dog in stock form.

Without looking at it, I'd guess you would enjoy it much more a little on the modified side - 350, 383, etc. 700R4 or 200R4, and so on.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

I think alot of depends on whether you want to keep it as a Cruiser (which the 305 cid is) ,or, if you want to feel some power that makes the name 'Corvette' the legend its suppose to be. Unless your car is in pristine condition, I would opt for the Power Trip ; if your State doesnt require you to get emissions done on an antique car , then, id get yourself some antique plates to get around the emissions testing ... and start looking at crate engines that have some real power behind them.

Reply to
dave

I think you understand my dilemma. I am leaning towards customizing, but I would hate to debase the value of a collectible car if the potential is there. My gut feeling is that I am not, because it is a LG4 without a documented history but, I am not an expert, or even knowledgeable enough to begin without some feedback.

Thanks for your take

Reply to
Modocer

Yes I have CA smog restrictions, but my county only requires a smog test with transfer of ownership. Of course it is illegal to modify emissions parts, but as long as I don't go overboard and don't hotrod around town I'll be left alone. Believe it or not, it already gets up and goes with the 305. I think tranny helps. I'm told it's a 3 speed auto. It would be nice throw in an LT1 or LS1 in it though.

Thanks for the feedback

Reply to
Modocer

get a crate 350/290 hp engine for under 3000....

Reply to
RS