getting ready to do it

i went yesterday to order my '05 rubicon but stopped at the last minute for a few reasons. i test drove the 6 speed and really enjoyed it around town, but i prefer the automatic for off roading. the only thing i didnt like about my last rubicon was the shovel, and the mileage. im wondering if there is a real aftermarket solution yet to the shovel (that doesnt involve an engine lift), and if the manual gets any real increase in mileage? also, the dealer said he had one on his other lot just like i wanted, but with the grey flares/top. he said if i buy it that he will swap the top for a black one and have the flares rhino-lined black. something just doesnt feel right about that, opinions?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I don't know if the auto and the manual use the same skidplate, but I don't see any reason why the Warn aftermarket skid (which you can get through the dealer) wouldn't fit. Your driving habits would probably have more to do with mileage than the choice of tranny, though the manual will probably get slightley better mileage, everything else being equal. But something to consider as well...in the mountains of Montana, you might get tired of shifting on those mountain roads.

As long as the flares are prepped well (decently scuff-sanded), there shouldn't be a problem with the rhino-lining them, but the right way to do it would be to remove them from the jeep, and if he's gonna do that he might as well swap them out for the black ones on the one he's getting the black top from.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I agree with Matt, the gusto you use in operating the pedals has more to do with mileage than the choice of trans.

And, you can get a BellyUp skid plate that will solve the shovel issues.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hey Bill, I can't find the V8 option button on

Maybe you have a link you can share with us.... ;-)

Reply to
matthewf_boi

i seem to recall getting around 16 mpg (mixed city/highway) with my '00 manual sahara on 33s. the best i ever got on my auto/rubi was 14.9 (iirc) and that was all highway. it usually got around 14. i know you cant compare gas to diesel but interesting enough, my '01 cummins 2500 4x4 dodge is getting over 21, and the '04.5 cummins 3500 4x4 dodge is getting 18+ and its not even broken in yet. both weigh nearly double what my rubicon weighed and i drive them a lot faster.

lol.....very true.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

good enough, auto it is. thanks!

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

if i can get over this "buy a new jeep every 2 years" thing i might eventually pay one off. then i could see a 5.7 hemi conversion. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Nathan W. Collier proclaimed:

Piker. You want a 6.1 at the very least. Or a classical Crate Hemi.

Reply to
Lon

heh. id actually be more inclined to swap in an oil burner than a v8.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier