Struggling to remove crankshaft pulley bolt

Wifes head gasket went a couple of days ago. Ok, I thought, lets get the head off and see the damage, shouldn't be that hard...

Except, unlike my car, the crankshaft pulley bolt will not budge. I am now up to a 2 foot breaker bar, with the car in 5th gear and my wife on the brakes to keep the car from moving, and the bolt still insists on staying put, despite the fact that I am making the breaker bar bend like a banana!

The problem seems to be the combination of the torque required and the fact that I cannot lock the crank (there is still a lot of movement despite being in gear and the brakes applied).

There must be an easier way, surely?

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Breaker bar on, stand clear, turn engine on starter :)

Reply to
Tony Bond

depending on the vehicle: lock the ring gear with a lever. use an air wrench. put a spanner on and turn it on the starter.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Shouldn't that be one for the Neurosurgeons? Try

Spencer

Remove spark plugs first.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Just a thought..... it's not threaded the other way round, is it?

You could just be tightening it further.

Reply to
SteveH

Almost certainly got threadlock on the threads. You could try to heat up the head of the bolt carefully. Enough heat will soften the locking compound.

Reply to
Brian

is it a honda by any chance ? because they are 'kin tight. some vehicles that we have trouble with we use a big windy gun, but check its not a left hand thread as well, also as someone posted, it could be just a case of the lockthread holding it tight!!!

Reply to
reg

just take a plumbers torch heat it up for a bit. then try

Reply to
DUBINOUT

Thanks to everyone that replied. Heat didn't work (there was no thread lock or corrosion), but the starter motor trick worked a treat!

What on earth do they torque that bolt up to?!!

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

I don't know, but it'll be worth finding out when you come to do it up again!

David Hearn

Would 1st gear be better than 5th?

Reply to
redwood

If you were trying to turn a wheel, yes. But turning the crank means fifth is better - because you're on the other side of the gearbox.

I think...

Reply to
PC Paul

120FT LBS
Reply to
DUBINOUT

NO, 5TH IS GOOD. BUT IF YOU APPLY A LITTLE HEAT IT WILL COME OUT. OR COME BY MY SHOP I'LL IMPACT IT OUT AND HAND TIGHTEN FOR YOU SO YOU CAN REMOVE LATER.

Reply to
DUBINOUT

You should wear ear protection when you use those air tools.

Reply to
PC Paul

:-)

Chris