2001 G. Caravan overdrive

I have a 2001 Grand Caravan with the 3.8 engine. I notice the transmission doesn't shift into overdrive until after I travel approximately 5 miles.This only happens when going from a cold start. Question is: what am
I looking at here ? something major?
--
Catch Ya Later...........Don

Don,
I had a 96 3.3l Grand Voyager that did that on a cold start in sub-freezing temps. It would run 4-5 mi. before it would drop into od.
My current 05 3.8l Grand Caravan does pretty much the same.
I always figured (rightly or wrongly) that it was a Chrysler trick to speed engine warmup. Never noticed any ill effects from it. Never noticed it happen above freezing, either.
Maybe someone with direct knowledge can enlighten us both.
Jack Naugler
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:20:34 -0400, "Donald Gall"

My '05 Durango does the same, as did my trusty rusty '91 Pathfinder. I suspect it's fairly standard behavior to get the autobox juices warmed up before risking a galled bearing, but I suppose it could also be related to getting the cats nice and toasty quicker...
daytripper wrote:

Not just Chrysler products. Most Fords with overdrive automatic transmissions do the same thing.
-GP
On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:59:57 -0400, Jack Naugler

This was brought up on either this or another newsgroup several months back. I noted that both of my Ford Aerostars did the same. Some self-proclaimed expert said overdrive engagement was not engine temperature controlled, but it's been my experience that on many vehicles there is NO O/D engagement until either engine or AT, not sure which, reaches a minimum operating temperature. ***
Thanks for all the feedback, more than likely temperature related. Thanks again.
--
Catch Ya Later...........Don
"Donald Gall" < snipped-for-privacy@advnet.net> wrote in message
Many vehicles delay engaging the overdrive until a certain temperature is reached. You can Google a few terms like "overdrive temperature engagement" and see a lot of info on it. On many such vehicles, the overdrive will still engage even when cold IF you increase your spead high enough -- like 85 -- where engine rpm are getting a little too high for comfort.