2002 Grand Caravan Stops Running

Hi:
I recently purchased a 2002 Grand Caravan Sport (3.3 I think). Today I went to start it and...
1. The engine started 2. Dash, lights, CD came on
3. Engine slowly died
When I immediately try to restart, there is no response at all. When I remove the key, and put it back in, it will start again.
It did this 3 or 4 times in a row. On the 5th time I started it, hit the gas, kept it at about 3000 RPM for a few seconds, then it stayed running.
No problem since but I havent really driven any more.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Did you use a "new" key? Most late model Chrysler vehicles use a transponder key that must be programmed as well as "cut" to match your original keys. The older key blanks (no transponder) will unlock doors manually and will start the car, but will subsequently shut down as you describe.
If this is the case, use the original key and have a copy made with proper late model blank. Ebay has them for much less than dealer or locksmith.
Cheers!

the 3rd try it would not have cranked over for an hour. You get 2 tries with the wrong key and then the emobilizer says sorry, we arent letting you guess again. wait an hour and retry!!!

Not trying to be smart but my suggestion is to drive it and see what happenes.Is the check engine lite on?? Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
"damnnickname1" wrote:
> > > Hi: > > > > I recently purchased a 2002 Grand Caravan Sport (3.3 I > think). Today I > > went to start it and... > > > > 1. The engine started > > 2. Dash, lights, CD came on > > 3. Engine slowly died > > > > When I immediately try to restart, there is no response at > all. When I > > remove the key, and put it back in, it will start again. > > > > It did this 3 or 4 times in a row. On the 5th time I started > it, hit > > the gas, kept it at about 3000 RPM for a few seconds, then > it stayed > > running. > > > > No problem since but I haven't really driven any more. > > > > Any suggestions? > > > > Thanks > > > > -- > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > > Topic URL: > http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-2002-Grand-Caravan-Stops-Running-ftopict109960.html > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pQ4953 > > Not trying to be smart but my suggestion is to drive it and > see what > happenes.Is the check engine lite on?? > Glenn Beasley > Chrysler Tech
Thanks for the info...It might be a key thing but the van starts and runs just fine now.
I need to take it out on the highway this afternoon so, well see.
I guess I was concerned that this may be the start of some greater electrical thing.
Ill let you know how it goes today.
Thanks again.
"New02GC" wrote: > Thanks for the info...It might be a 'key' thing but the van > starts and runs just fine now. > > I need to take it out on the highway this afternoon so, we'll > see. > > I guess I was concerned that this may be the start of some > greater electrical 'thing'. > > I'll let you know how it goes today. > > Thanks again.
One more thing...The check engine light is not on.
Thanks.
"New02GC" wrote: > One more thing...The check engine light is not on. > > Thanks.
Van is working just fine now...Looks like my key forgot it needed to start my van!
Ill have to get the key redone soon I guess.
Thanks for the answers!
:D

It is a 2002, is it under a warranty coverage still? Before you stop and start the engine too many times I would go get the computer codes scanned at a dealership. If it is the start of some emerging bad behavior (failure) better to document it early.
"Steph2" wrote:
> > > "New02GC" wrote: > &nbsp;> > One more thing...The check engine light is not on. > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > Thanks. > > > > Van is working just fine now...Looks like my key forgot it > needed to > > start my van! > > > > Ill have to get the key redone soon I guess. > > > > Thanks for the answers! > > > > :D > > > > It is a 2002, is it under a warranty coverage still? > Before you stop and start the engine too many times I would go > get the > computer codes scanned at a dealership. If it is the start of > some emerging > bad behavior (failure) better to document it early.
Hello again.
Had the van in the dealership today. Claims the engine stops like that because the throttle position sensor was misbehaving...He told me he called the "head office" and there have been problems with this sensor on these vans.
I had it replaced. Seems ok now...Time will tell.
On an unrelated topic...The area where my light switch is seams funny. Sometimes when I turn the lights off, they stay on. I have to turn them on and then off again to get them to turn off completely. The button (dial) to turn on the interior lights doesnt always work either.
Is there an easy way to open up that side of the dash to take a look at the wiring? Im guessing something is loose in there.
Thanks again.

Just curious, have you read the owners manual about the head lamp features??? auto off??

Site Timeline