2000 jeep gc stops running while driving

we have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee with 85k. while driving down highwa

at 70 mph the suv just shut off. we coasted to birm and sat for about min. it started up and we drove to our destination which was about miles away. car sat approx. 1 1/2 hrs. started up right away n problems...drove about 4-5 miles and shut off again while driving. any suggestions??

-- packrats

Reply to
packrats

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

If it's a 4.0 engine....

And for that, 99% of the time a good clean of it's plug and socket with electronic contact cleaner will fix it. Replacing it will also scratch a clean connection so it will work again for a while. Some folks have had an instant restart by just unplugging it and plugging it back in which scratches a better connection. They are low powered computer signal sensors that are touchy for being clean.

Mike

Mike Romain

I had the same problem in my 2004 wrangler....eluded me for a long time with all kinds of weird symptoms.... Check your contacts.

adam

Reply to
General Pathology

thanks for responding! we changed the fuel filter and let it run i driveway. still cut off. we're going to replace crankshaft positio sensor tomorrow. could it be anything else? when it cuts off it doesn' sputter, chug or anything...just dies like turning off the key

-- packrats

Reply to
packrats

thanks for responding! we changed the fuel filter and let it run i

driveway. still cut off. we're going to replace crankshaft positio sensor tomorrow. could it be anything else? when it cuts off i doesn't sputter, chug or anything..just dies like turning of the key

-- packrats

Reply to
packrats

I take it you have the 4.0 engine then?

The new CPS will only be a temporary fix if it's plug and socket are dirty. The new one only replaces half the trouble, the other half is the socket on the harness....

I really would recommend you just clean it first. Even WD40 will work as a cleaner on it's socket.

When mine was quitting, the CPS clean didn't work, neither did a new one. Mine turned out to be a rotted mesh ground strap that runs from the engine head to the firewall.

Mike

Mike Romain