91 Dodge Spirit water pump

I need help replacing a water pump on my 91 Dodge Spirit. I don't have the money to take it to a garage but my brother has no clue on how to replace it . If anyone has any clue on how we can get the old one off and put the new one on I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions...Thank you for your time...

Reply to
PreciousRose

It would help if you specified the engine, 4 cylinder or V6, 2.5 or 3.0 If its the 3.0 your looking at a job and a half because you should replace the timing belt too. Because the water pump is drivin by the timing belt

Reply to
Adam F.

Can you afford to repair it two or three times? If not then you need to do it right the first time.

If you have a 2.2L or 2.5L engine, the good news is the water pump is fairly easy to replace. For your first repair you may end of spending almost as much in tools and such as it would cost for a repair shop to replace the water pump for you. The savings will accumulate when you have the tools, confidence and knowledge to properly maintain your car.

Buy a factory service manual. For this task you could get by with a brand X manual, but they are crap and you will end up buying the factory manual sooner or later. If you are going to be performing the maintenance yourself, it will be a wise investment and save you a lot of money.

Buy quality parts. Don't buy a POC $29 water pump and expect it to last as long as a $99 water pump. The cheaper pump may only last 15,000 miles, where as a good pump will last over 100,000 miles if you change the coolant regularly.

HTH Gyz

Reply to
Gyzmologist