97 Caravan- need diagnosis help

Just bought this van after my import blew up. It will start occasionally cold, but only very rarely when it's warmed up. Yesterday, I pulled the battery and alternator and had them tested, both were bad, so I replaced
them. Also replaced the fuel filter. After all this, it started perfectly. It idled in my yard for 15 minutes or so, purred like a kitten. Drove it down the road and back (couple blocks) ran great. Decided to take it on the highway. Ran great for about 1/4 mile. I realized that even though I was pressing the gas, I was decellerating. Finally it died, and I coasted onto a gravel road. Never would start again, it tried, but seemed like it just wasn't getting any fuel. I can hear the fuel pump engage when i turn the key, and I can feel it in the tank when my husband tries to start it. Since I just bought this, I don't yet know a lot about it. Is this a single or multi-injector engine? It is a 97 Caravan, 3 litre V6. Any ideas on where I should look next? I am going to replace the relay today cause it's cheap and probably needs doing anyhow. This van has 166,000 miles.
"greaseangel" wrote in message: "Just bought this van after my import blew up. It will start occasionally cold, but only very rarely when it's warmed up. Yesterday, I pulled the battery and alternator and had them tested, both were bad, so I replaced them. Also replaced the fuel filter. After all this, it started perfectly. It idled in my yard for 15 minutes or so, purred like a kitten. Drove it down the road and back (couple blocks) ran great. Decided to take it on the highway. Ran great for about 1/4 mile. I realized that even though I was pressing the gas, I was decellerating. Finally it died, and I coasted onto a gravel road. Never would start again, it tried, but seemed like it just wasn't getting any fuel. I can hear the fuel pump engage when i turn the key, and I can feel it in the tank when my husband tries to start it. Since I just bought this, I don't yet know a lot about it. Is this a single or multi-injector engine? It is a 97 Caravan, 3 litre V6. Any ideas on where I should look next? I am going to replace the relay today cause it's cheap and probably needs doing anyhow. This van has 166,000 miles."
Does it have spark? It could be iginition related or even a timing belt.
Sarge
I checked all plugs and wires, all fuses and relays (replaced 'em all just to be certain), and I disconnected the main air hose going to the block and poured a bit of gasoline in. It fired up and ran until it burned off the gas. A rubber mallet firmly applied to the gas tank several times resulted in the van running. I guess I probably do need a new fuel pump. Any ideas on any other tests I should do to make sure it is the fuel pump before I go drop another couple hundred bucks?

No need to perform any more tests, you have already confirmed that your problem is the fuel pump. Hitting the fuel tank and the fuel pump starts working is a sure indication of a bad pump.