Caravan tire size question

My 97 Caravan has 215/65-16 tires on it now, but I have a chance of getting

225/60-16 tires for a really good price, but will I run into problems with the tires rubbing?
Reply to
Derek MacMillan

Interesting question. Your tire dealer should be able to tell you. What you can do is turn the wheel as far as it will go, lock to lock and measure the clearance front and rear.

225 is 10mm more than 215. 12.5mm is a half an inch. 3/4 of an inch would be the minimum I would accept for clearance, and would probably go 2 inches to make sure there is room going over bumps, etc.

Also, this is a biggie: Measure the inner sidewall of the tire to the strut! If the tire rubs against the strut, this is NOT a good thing! And again bear in mind that it will get closer as it bounces going over bumps!

I put oversized tires on an AWD Tercel, and just didn't turn the wheel to the locks. There was plenty of clearance at the strut.

Reply to
hachiroku

Oh, and I forgot to mention. Most tire manufacturers have on their web sites the size rims their tires will fit.

For example, Toyo and Dunlop make a 195/45-14. My Corolla takes

185/60-14's. Should fit, right? Nope. The 195 requires a 6.5-7.5" rim, the Corolla has 5.5" rims. The tire could blow off if I try to use the stock rims.
Reply to
Hachiroku

Don't forget to check tire height. It will affect your transmission, and shift changes

Reply to
DonTraboulsee

I cannot imagine going up just from 215-225 will be any problem at all, but, as suggested, it would be a good idea to feel around to check current clearances.

Keep in mind that 225/60-16 tires will be about a half-inch larger diameter than the 225/65-16 tires.

That will slightly reduce acceleration though you may not feel a difference. It should be a nice improvement in handling and braking overall.

Reply to
Marcus