caravan transmission interchange?

if i got a 93 caravan with the overdrive tranny. i was wondering what years had the same tranny? also is there any other vehicles (cars or vans) that had the same tranny? i was told that a 93-95 are the same, direct swap. but what other years.. thanks

Reply to
bm

You could sort of "back into" getting this sort of information by searching on transmissions for the vehicle at

Theyuse an interchange directory to show which other vehicles are gooddonors.

You might also want to read up on the Chrysler 4-speed automatic at

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

With FWD, with 3.0 V6: Any '91 to '93 Chrysler-built FWD vehicle with 3.0 V6 and 4-speed auto trans.

With FWD, with 3.3 V6: Any '93 to '95 Chrysler-built FWD vehicle with transverse 3.3 V6 and 4-speed auto trans (everything except LH-cars)

With AWD, with 3.3 V6: Any '92 to '95 Chrysler-built AWD vehicle with 3.3 V6 and 4-speed auto trans.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Obviously the trans from a 3.0 won't bolt up to a 3.3 or 3.8 and the 3.3/3.8 case won't bolt up to a 3.0. The 3.3 and 3.8 trans' have different overall top gear ratios that are set by the number of teeth on the differential ring gear, transfer shaft , transfer gear and the output gear. a mismatch in any of these can cause an engine to seem like it is a dog (putting a 3.8 trans behind a 3.3) but it always screws up the speedo and that can't be corrected with pinion factor adjustment in the TCM because the correct numbers for that OTGR aren't available for that engine package in the TCM. That requires that you put the right OTGR trans in it or change all the afore mentioned parts to the correct gears with the right number of teeth. SOOOOOooooo... the easiest and most accurate thing to do is get the assembly number off the case and cross it to the correct trans :) Oh, that number is pin punched in the sealing surface for the transfer gear cover at the bottom. It begins with PK then a 7 or 8 digit number followed by 4 digit build date followed by a 4 digit sequence number.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Er, yes. That is why I wrote what I did, to wit:

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I wouldn't put a 90 in anything. There were very few changes made between the 89 and the 90 trans( and yes Dan, I know EVERY change made to that trans between 89 and 03). In other words the 90 trans still had problems, so the odds of it holding up are low. I would look for a 95. You never said if you have a 3.3 or a 3.8, there is a big difference in gear ratios. Read my previous post (even though it didn't seem to impress Dan). The point was get the right gear ratio.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Neither would I.

Actually, there were many, but even "many" weren't enough!

I'm sure.

So did the '91. So did the '92. And the '93. Also the '94 and '95. Same with the '96, '97 and '98.

There's a guy in Southern California, not far from Hemi Anderson's shop, who makes an excellent but very busy living buying very-late-model Chrysler product writeoffs, removing the trans, discarding the case, and swapping the guts into earlier-style cases. That's about the only way to _eliminate_ the problems.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern