EGR problem 96 Breeze

My car is a 96 Breeze with 2.0L & Auto trans. I have a pinging issue. I had found out that the EGR valve was not working. I checked the valve
itself, the transducer & the solenoid. All check out. Even continuity from the PCM to the EGR. Here is the odd thing. The EGR will work when I unplug the connector from the solenoid. It throws a code but the valve works & my pinging stops. When I plug in the connector, the code clears & the EGR no longer works. Any ideas? Could this be a bad PCM? Is there any way to check it? I did try a new valve & it made no difference. Fortunately the place I bought it allowed me to return it. I can't block it off because I start pinging real bad when the EGR is not working. I am pretty well stumped.
Pat Callaghan 96 Breeze Portland, OR.

The EGR only works when the engine is up to operation temperature. It should remain closed while the engine is cold and at idle. Pinging(knock) can be caused by low octane fuel, by an inoperative EGR valve, over-advanced ignition timing, too much carbon in the combustion chamber, or by too much heat.

check
Without having a scan tool how do you know what the EGR is doing? How do you know when the PCM wants EGR on? How did you test this thing? You mention the wire going from the PCM to the EGR valve for continuity. How can you tell the PCM is requesting the EGR to open without a scan tool? What is the other wire doing in the connector? Does it have voltage? is it an open circuit? Also heat will cause the engine to ping, is the engine running hot?
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

It's kinda obvious if it pings when he "thinks" the egr isn't working, and doesn't ping when he "thinks" it is, that he is on the right track, because that engine WILL ping like a fiend on regular fuel with the SGR disabled. A well known FACT. Yes, overheating will cause ping too, but he can repeat the circumstances at will and produce ping on command. He DOES need to have a scanner hooked to it to try to pin down why it is malfunctioning, but it is quite obvious it IS.