1998 Plymouth Breeze 2.0L, Ongoing Problems

Well, this is the strangest problem I've ever encountered. I was having Check Engine light problems, P0700 & P0725 codes. Took the car to non dealer for diags, they said TCM or crank position sensor bad, but couldn't say 100% which one, or if it would fix the intermittent problem. Replaced to date, input and output trans speed sensors (there was ATF in one of the connectors), trans fluid flush and replace with ATF +4 (at $8/quart!) Plugs and wires, fuel filter (who thought to mount this so you have to drop the tank, STUPID) I have swapped trans relays, there are two the same underhood. Checked fuses, OK. Cleaned all grounds under the hood, disconnected all TCM and ECM connectors and cleaned, wiring connector at trans (there was some ATF in this one, too), pulled and cleaned. Disconnected the connector on the cam position (?) sensor at back of head, it was full of oil from blown head gasket, cleaned and reconnected. So, nothing fixed, off to the dealer for diags. A few miles from the dealer, check engine light goes off! Trans seems to be acting normally. Don't leave the car, since intermittent problems are just a B(_)&((*)CH to find. Now, when cold the trans sometimes slams on the 1-2 shift, almost feels like it is slipping on shift, sometimes. When this happens, 2 -3 shift is harder than normal. Still sometimes will go into limp, but then goes back to normal operation. At no time since the Check Engine light went off has it come back on. Well, I'm really frustrated at this point. This car has 63K, and just doesn't seem like it should be this screwed up. I've already spent $600, and the car is only worth $3500! Any suggestions, besides a cracking good underhood fire?

Reply to
Ralph Shapiro

Replace the TCM. I have a friend with the same car that had nearly the exact symptoms (although not as many!), and a new TCM cured the trouble code and cured a runaway 1-2. Don't know if he had a firm

2-3, though. Until the new TCM was installed, the slippy 1-2 was constant, as was the code/light.
Reply to
DeserTBoB

Good read for anyone with FD 4 speed trans

sqdancerLynn

Reply to
Ralph Shapiro

Well, this is really annoying! After trip to the dealer, and input sensor replacement, I thought everything was fine. All symptoms gone. Took it for a

Reply to
Ralph Shapiro