AC stalls Breeze

I have a '98 Plymouth Breeze, which I bought new. I forget the size of the engine, but I seem to recall its a small Mitzubishi six cylinder. For the past two summers, when I am moving slowly (like in very heavy traffic) or at a stop light, my car will sometimes stall when the air conditioner is on. In the space of a few seconds while going very slow or idling, the car will begin to run very rough, then simply stall on me. If I notice the car starting to run rough when I am moving slowly or stopped and I quickly reach over and turn off the AC, it doesn't stall. This problem is very annoying. When I restart the car (which usually takes two or three minutes), it runs fine the rest of the trip.

When this problem first started to occur, I took the car to the dealer where I bought it. The dealer was unable to find a problem. Last year, I also took it to an independent garage to be looked at. They do good work there at reasonable rates. I took it there today again for a few items and I asked them to find out why it stalled. They called me and said they too found nothing wrong and they could could not get the car to stall. This stalling happens if the car has been running only a few minutes, orif its been running for a while.

Does anyone have any ideas on what's causing this problem? Other then this stalling problem when the AC is on, my Breeze works great!

Reply to
Shawn Hirn

No. Only 2 engines for Breeze: 2.0 sohc 4 and 2.4 dohc 4, both made by Chrysler. Stratus and Cirrus, sister JA cars, offered the Mitsu

2.5 sohc V6, but not the Breeze.
Reply to
Lloyd

Thanks for the correction. The question still stands though. How do I get the car to stop stalling when the AC is on and the engine is near or at idle?

Reply to
Shawn Hirn

Try cleaning the TPS (throttle position sensor). I have no idea if this will help in a Breeze/Stratus. I had that same problem in a Mitsubishi, where it helped. The reason there was that the TPS was not detecting that it is in idle (the throttle fully released), and failed to maintain the pre-set idle RPM.

Reply to
Patok

Reply to
philthy