Is it easy to replace Durango ball joints?

1999 Durango 5.9L

I had the wheels aligned recently because they felt odd, and the mechanic said that the upper and lower ball joints, front AND back need to be replaced. Quoted price, almost $5000. That price included control arms and many, many hours of labor. Something didn't seem to add up there.

I see that I can get the ball joints for about $35 each. I'm not sure why I'd need a control arm too?

Could someone enlighten me please? Is this something I could do in a weekend, or something that I should definitely shell out $1000+ for professional labor?

Reply to
Av

Not a truck Mechanic but if I were you I would get a second opinion, 5K is to much money for that kind of job. how many miles on this truck?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Wasn't it the ball joints that were part of a recall on 1998-2003 Dakotas and Durangos? You might check and get it done for free.

Reply to
miles

that could be a little high for that. Especially since I don't think the rear has ball joints. That frame is a Dakota frame from what I could tell just looking at it from a distance. I replaced the ball joints on both my older Dakotas at $65 ea. + sales tax, after market - (Moog). I did the work myself at about an hour labor each. I also replaced the upper control arm bushings at about $10 each control arm. It did cost me an alignment afterward. When a shop replaces the ball joints they don't usually. They replace the control arms and that are more expensive and more labor intensive.

Since I don't think the rear even has control arms then $5000 may be a good price to have the rear end completely redesigned to install them.

Reply to
Abby.Normal

ahahahahahaha! :-)

Reply to
daytripper

Just over 100k. It's otherwise in pretty good shape.

Reply to
Av

Te recall was only for 2000-2003 iirc :-( Not the 1998/9's.

Reply to
Av

LOL you truly are abbynormal! :D Yeah, ball joints on leaf-spring/solid-axle rear suspension, who woulda thunk it? What would ball joints back there do? Just go along for the ride? They'd sure never wear out....

Reply to
Marcus