plymouth voyager battery dying at any given time when parked.

I have a 96 voyager and times it would start fine and with no problem at all, then other times it would not start all. This is what happens: come home park the van, wake next morning turn the key and nothing,
just the clicking sound. get a boost and it starts right up and runs fine.............. shut it off later and it starts right back just fine and continue like that for days. Then out of the blue I would park it [say at the mall] come back and nothing; click click click......... dead battery! What could be draining the power from my battery like that?
I check to be sure nothing was left on and everything was off. Please someone help me. It dont cut-off, just wont start after parking.
forgot to add> 96 voyager 3.3L engine.
cyberguy wrote:

First step... Clean the battery posts and terminals... Second... Depending on how long this has been going on, it MAY be the contact terminals inside the starter; these are known to fail due to excessive wear...
battery post & terminalare very very clean. I cleaned then using the plumbing pipe wire brush which works really well on the post and terminal. So what do you suggest: A new starter? OR how can I test the starter to see if it has the issue? FeMaster wrote:

Before you jump into a starter, take the battery to garage and have it load tested. I went thru the same problems. Battery needed to be replaced. If the battery test fine, then you have can look at the starter.
In article

Start by testing the battery when the condition occurs.
Don't assume that the battery is being drained, don't assume that it's not.
You mention "clicking," is it a single click or a repetitive click (buzz). Single click would indicate the starter contacts which makes sense given the age and average mileage for an 11 year old vehicle.
cyberguy wrote:

What is the alternator output. Wth engine running, put a volt meter on the battery and check the voltage, you need to see 14.1 VDC and not less that 13.5 VDC if the alternator is good. Likewise the battery, with engine off, same test and 12.1 should be the reading.
In article

At 12.1 volts, the battery is less than 50% charged (close to 25% charged).
aarcuda69062 wrote:

If you have 12.1 VDC on the battery at rest, then the battery is fully charged. If you have 14.1 VDC on battery with engine running then the alternator is good. Put the volt meter on the battery at rest and have someone crank the engiine over while you read the voltage, it should not drop belwo about 11.0 VDC if the battery is holding a good charge.
In article

http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_Car_Battery.html#CARBATTERY_009
(psssst... when they call 'em 12 volt batteries, they're lying)

Depends on the ambient temperature, not to mention that all alternators have a voltage versus amperage specification.

Stupid me, here I've been using an AVR and a trans-conductance tester all these years.