1985 Dodge RamCharger 4X4 Debate

I am looking at an 85 RamCharger for $3,000. the Truck looks good but the owner states that he took a bearing of the front hub because of a rumbling sound.

Then stated that he had to take it apart because the 4 wheel drive stayed engaged always.

This vehicle is SHARP and I want to buy it but don't want to find out I have to spend MEGA Dollars fixing the 4 wheel drive.

I would appreciate any Dodge owners expertise, or advise.

Thanks

SLM

Reply to
Spence via CarKB.com

"Spence via CarKB.com" wrote: > I am looking at an 85 RamCharger for $3,000. the Truck looks > good but the > owner states that he took a bearing of the front hub because > of a rumbling > sound. > > Then stated that he had to take it apart because the 4 wheel > drive stayed > engaged always. > > This vehicle is SHARP and I want to buy it but don't want to > find out I have > to spend MEGA Dollars fixing the 4 wheel drive. > > I would appreciate any Dodge owners expertise, or advise. > > Thanks > > SLM

It is 20 years old and it is not unusual for some things to have been repaired by now. Wheel bearing failure in a old 4x4 is not that rare if they have not been properly serviced. Typically the seals in front hubs go bad and grease dries out or water gets in and bearings fail. My suggestion is if you buy it tear down the front axle hubs and inspect all bearing and replace seals and repack with fresh grease. I cannot comment on transfer case issue without knowing more about what may have been wrong. If it really is clean and "cherry" the price may not be too bad either though you did not comment on how many miles are on it which can play a big factor in its value.

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
Spence via CarKB.com

Snoman

I agree with what you said about the front hubs! Would the 4 wheel stay engaged even though the bearings were dried out?

I have done some research on this vehicle and sounds like some type of Vacuum system engages the 4 wheel drive. There is not manual hubs on the outside as with the other older 4 wheel drives I have had or worked on in the past.

There is 187000 miles on the motor which is a 318, and it runs really well without a miss at idle or acceleration.

I brought it home yesterday and found some type of drive gear about the size of an outer bearing in the floorboard rapped in a towel.

he told me on the phone he had other parts to give me that I have not yet gotten.

Thanks for your response

Spencer M.

Reply to
Spence via CarKB.com

"Spence via CarKB.com" wrote: > Snoman > > I agree with what you said about the front hubs! Would the 4 > wheel stay > engaged even though the bearings were dried out? > > I have done some research on this vehicle and sounds like some > type of Vacuum > system engages the 4 wheel drive. There is not manual hubs on > the outside as > with the other older 4 wheel drives I have had or worked on in > the past. > > There is 187000 miles on the motor which is a 318, and it runs > really well > without a miss at idle or acceleration. > > I brought it home yesterday and found some type of drive gear > about the size > of an outer bearing in the floorboard rapped in a towel. > > he told me on the phone he had other parts to give me that I > have not yet > gotten. > > Thanks for your response > > Spencer M. > > > -- > Message posted via CarKB.com >

CHysler used a vacum operated disconnect on front axle that you need to check its operation. The front axle Ujoints will aways turn but the differentail will disconnect when it 2wd. (If disconnected you will be able to spin front drive shaft by hand when truck is in 2wd)

Reply to
SnoMan

The '4WD actuator motor' on my '90 W150 PU rusted out and had to be replaced. It is really just a diaphram and piston that slides a gear back and forth. It is about 4" in diameter and is driven by vacuum from the transmission. The 'motor' is around $225 from the dealer.

The issue with yours could be as simple as a vacuum leak on the hose that pulls the piston toward the 2WD position. Mine failed in the 2WD position for what that's worth.

Best of luck with it !

Reply to
Nick