1994 Ram D250 will not warm up

I bought a 1994 Ram D250 that was a Navy Van. The problem is that I can only get between 12 and 14 MPG (no load). I think the Navy people took the thermostat out. So, that would make it run rich (low heat
also) and kill my MPG, right?
I'm in the process of tuning the van up, so I will see if the MPG goes up, but the temp gauge never gets above 1/3.
As soon as it warms up I'll get out there to check (doesn't look easy to get too), a follow up question is what temp thermostat should I use in the D250 ?
Thanks

thermostat would be normal. Otherwise, your friendly local parts store counterman should be able to tell you what the stock 'stat is.
Ken
NapalmHeart wrote:

hwy on my 2002 ram1500

Mopar V-8 and V-6 engines aren't known for the best gas mileage, are they? Oh well, you can't have everything!

It has the 4.9l V8 in it. But my research tell me that there is only a 1 mpg difference between the the 4.9 and 5.8 liter engine. Oh well.
But I still don't have a lot of heat. Would that point to no thermostat? The gauge sits around 1/3 seems low to me.
How hard is it to get to the thermostat?
I believe Advance Auto Parts sells a 195 Stant termo, should I pick that up?
Thanks
On 17 Mar 2007 07:58:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ram_Van both of these sites show there are two v-8's , a 5.2 and a 5.9 i'm not saying you're wrong w/the 4.9 or that wiki is right but i couldn't find anything on a 4.9 in a 94 ram van if yours is a 5.2 the thermostat can be found tucked behind the alt. at the engine end of the top rad. hose and with a extention on your ratchet you can get to the two bolts
On Mar 17, 12:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ram_Wagonhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ram_Van
I was wrong. It's the 3.9l V6, which for some reason get only 1 more MPG than the V8. Must be the 3 speed tranny.
I've heard the 3.9l is bullet proof, but I guess you hear that about all truck engines. Is the thermostat in the same place?
On 17 Mar 2007 09:39:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

hose, mounted in coolant outlet housing

KO
On 16 Mar 2007 20:16:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

clogged so no or little water is passing through it. Have you felt the heater hoses after it is warmed up?
beekeep